Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #21 
lvandert

build one with legos!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #22 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Maybe you can build a castle out of something smooth and some aquarium safe glue. i did that with silicone kid cups and funnels but those are really hard to find and not cheap usually. (Well you can find them online but again, not that cheap)

I bet we can eventually think of something safe and cheaper and readily available to make castles out of.

Here is one of my castles. Sometimes I glue fake plants to them to hide or go with a theme.

mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #23 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
What size tank is this?

I think you definitely have more than you need.

How much does 55 W stems & 35 Rotala Stems go for?

So far I haven't come across many safe looking castles. Most have sharp plastic residue on the inside, & very tiny windows.
It's either a 10 or a 14 gallon tank. It's labeled "Aqueon 14" so until I get the measurements I won't know for sure, and it's in my car until I can unpack the box tomorrow at my new house. I can't find the answer on Google. It was on sale for $20 off at Petco yesterday.

I'm glad to hear I have more plants than I need, any leftovers will be put in other tanks; I have 6 quarantine tanks to decorate. I was attracted to the castles because a lot of them have clever little caves to hide in but I'm not attached to them as an element of the overall design of the tank. My Plakat Casper has a plastic waterfall and I'm already realizing tank decorations aren't always the safest thing. He has a habit of burrowing underneath it in between the bottom of the decoration and the rocks in his tank

I'm paying $60 plus shipping for the W & Rotala stems.

Edit: mursey that's an adorable castle!

Last edited by babystarz; 08-05-2012 at 10:03 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #24 
MSG

Mursey, your bettas don't chew the tips off your silicone anemones?
How did you make the holes in the k-cups? Box cutter?
My girls like to attack anything that resembles pellets.

BStarZ, these links may be of use to you.... There's not much info on the 14G AQ tank.

http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...anks-2-25-each

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=67378
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #25 
babystarz

Thanks MSG, I guess I can confirm that it's 14 gallons. For some reason it's not on Aqueon's products page. I'm wondering if it was phased out or something (hence the sales?). It was priced lower than the Aqueon 10 kit at the store so it seemed like a good deal. I'm a bit worried about the filter system but if it's not sufficient I'll replace it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #26 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
build one with legos!
LOL that would be kind of awesome, unfortunately my little brother sold his legos at a garage sale a long time ago.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #27 
lvandert

there was a guy that did a super mario themed tank with legos... it was pretty awesome
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #28 
MSG

The only betta safe castle I've ever seen

It's made out of ceramic & it's glazed, designed for aquarium/hamsters as well.

Openings are spacious, edges are nice and smooth, but the appearance is kinda not cool to me.

If I do buy this castle will be hidden in the back of the tank with plants camouflaging it.

Also it's only $6 & you can clearly see the size of it. The store has at least 20 of them in stock, luckily they had 2 of them out of the box, so it made it really easy to check it out.

It's the photo in between the Betta torture container & the old school aquarium pump kit.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6...august46x6.jpg
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #29 
MSG

That 14G kit is definitely being phased out, you're lucky to grab one before they were sold out.

Everyone nowadays wants the LED illuminated tanks. The screw lights your tank hood uses are not that popular.

I'm sure the Fluvals & the Aqueon edge tanks are what most people want due to their sleeker contemporary design.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #30 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
[quote=MSG;1186497]Mursey, your bettas don't chew the tips off your silicone anemones?
How did you make the holes in the k-cups? Box cutter?
My girls like to attack anything that resembles pellets.

----------
yeah 2 of them tried to at first but I guess they realized it wasn't working, ha ha. It was like they were attacking the colored tips. Some come plain without colored tips and I thought if it continued maybe I would cut the ends.

I just used a small sharp scissor or a short knife with serrated edges to cut the cups. The scissors were hair-cutting scissors but they are kind of ruined now so I'd just use a short knife or maybe some kind of craft scissor.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote