Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 
emceesky

Post Save Betta!

Hi to all members of Betta community. I recently picked up 3 Female Betta's a month ago 2 days before I made a water change. While changing water their tails were damaged and they were injured v.badly :( and while putting the back only I noticed. Really feeling low to see them sick its been a while since they ate hope they must be too stressed. Two Betta tails were cut will they grow back? How long does that take? One Betta is been injured v.badly the whole back of caudal fin is cut and poor betta don't know how she could bear such a pain I just want her to recover asap :( Will post some pics along. It would be really helpful if some one could guide me in how to help my betta fish to recover.
Attached Images

emceesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
emceesky

Post Save Betta - Betta 2

Hi to all members of Betta community. I recently picked up 3 Female Betta's a month ago 2 days before I made a water change. While changing water their tails were damaged and they were injured v.badly :( and while putting the back only I noted. Really feeling low to see them sick its been a while since they hate hope they must be too stressed. Two Betta tails were cut will they grow back? How long does that take? One Betta is been injured v.badly the whole back of caudal fin is cut and poor betta don't know how she could bear such a pain I just want her to recover asap :( Will post some pics along. It would be really helpful if some one could guide me in how to help my betta fish to recover.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 
jCo72

Are all of your bettas in the same tank or are they in individual tanks? What are the sizes of the tanks?
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Are you housing these 3 females together or in separate tank? They will grow back, you can use just plain warm, clean water with high in protein foods like mosquito larvae. Or you can put them in 1 gallon containers and use aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon and that will help clean the wound for no secondary infections. However you cannot use aquarium salt for more than 10 days.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
emceesky

@Jco72: No they all three are put together in a 3 gallon fresh water tank.
@Lizzyp: Since all 3 are female I had put them together in a 3 gallon tank. I hope to see them recover soon since being a beginner just wanted people to share their experiences and guide so that I can learn from their experience. All I want is to see my betta's back to normal.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 
babystarz

3 together might not be enough to stop them from being aggressive and ripping each other apart, especially in a 3 gallon tank. You're better off either getting a 10 gallon tank and 2-3 more females, or separating the fish so they each have their own tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
xjenuhfur

Female betta sororities should be in at least a 10 gallons heavily planted with 5+ girls so they can establish a pecking order. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 
emceesky

@Babystarz: But I don't find them aggressive as all 3 are v.active, lap swimming in the tank from one end to another and was happy but after getting hurt I guess they might be stressed out its been a pretty while since they ate but I can find them swimming but not as normal and staying down the gravel hope cos of missing the tail they might find it odd to swim.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 
jCo72

IMO 3 fish in a 3 gallon tank is far too many for the size (for bigger fish). The damage that you see is from them nipping each others tails. Female bettas are not friendly to each other, even when they're in larger tanks. You can do a female sorority but you need more females and a much larger tank. 10 gallon is the recommended starting size, but the bigger the better. Here is a good thread to read. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

Your female bettas need to be separated and put into their own tanks ASAP. They will not get better in the 3 gallon tank you have for them when they are all together, and you will most likely have dead fish on your hands if you keep them together in there.

Once they are separated, I imagine they would begin to heal. You can do what LizzyP said, but clean water and frequent water changes would be the best for them once they are in their own tanks.
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #10 
lvandert

ok, we're not trying to steer you in the wrong direction. If you wan to keep multiple fish you NEED a 10 gallon. If you want to keep multiple females you NEED 4 or more. Anything less and you get these issues. If you were to upgrade the tank and get more girls they will co-exist happier and not get as beat up.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote