Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
Sprinkles55

Red face Sparky and his story.

So I got Sparky as of yesterday. I had a really rough night two days ago, and bought Sparky on impulse due to being so upset. He has his new 5 gallon home coming soon, and he's residing in a 1 gallon bowl for now. He'll be getting all the sweet care my heart can give.

So to start off the story, I went to petsmart and looked at all the bettas they had. I was talking to the lady working there and she was very sweet, actually seemed intelligible on bettas. I asked if she had any more half moons, and that's when she brought out Sparky. He was really active, wagged his tail...I couldn't resist. To continue on, I brought him to the front to purchase him and the cashier looks at my bettas cup and goes "Oh, one second!" and does this:

He taped OVER the hole. There was a third piece over the middle but I ripped it off once I came out and figured taking a picture. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU TAPE OVER THE HOLE, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING CASHIER? I sadly hate confrontation so I kept my mouth shut. Ripped all of them off after the picture. Anyways. Here's my new boy, Sparky. He's made me smile a lot, I'm glad I got him.

Oh, and you see that green plant to the left?! I tested it and it seemed soft and safe... I woke up this morning to his poor fin torn! Took the plant out right away and put in a silk one. I'm never doing that mistake again, I feel awful.
Here he is as of tonight

I got a treatment for his fin tears going, I'm hoping they grows back okay
I'm guessing he's a marble, too...I'm not sure. Any input?
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
Enkil

Very nice that she brought you out such a looker!

The cashiers are actually trained to ASK if you want the tape over the hole. They do it to try to help ensure a safe, dry trip home. I always tell them no.

Those fake plants can be tricky! I have a couple, but the one like that I only use in my sorority to cut the flow from my filter.

To me, he looks like a grizzle. Very handsome though.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
Sprinkles55

I was just shocked he taped over the entire hole He should've definitely asked. Plastic plants are definitely tricky sometimes. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #4 
Enkil

You're welcome.

When I think the cashier isn't listening to my firm "No"... I grab the cup up before they can tape it, smile, and politely say "Thank you." Boyfriend tells me I make them feel 2 inches tall, but I don't mean to. I just don't want them taping up the silly hole.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #5 
CandiceMM

He is such a cutie!! Its great that Betta's can make us all feel better, I sure know I feel better. Great find at walmart, cheer up :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #6 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have 2 plastic plant I LOVE but I don't use with my bettas because I am worried. They do feel soft, but who knows. (They are really pretty white Bioorb brand ones that make a white tank look like a fairy winter wonderland . .. but I can't really use them. Once I put them behind the tank so you could see them but the betta couldn't get hurt.)

Sparky is really cute! Congrats! :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #7 
kellyyoungmoney

wow, after the tons of bettas ive bought and no one has ever asked to tape over the hole. ive never heard of that. but i have that plastic plant in 2 of my tanks and its never torn up either of my fish. but i guess ill keep a close eye on it now!
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

Sparky is GORGEOUS! And has such a cute name :)
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #9 
Sprinkles55

@Enkil haha! Yeah, I think next time I'll snatch the cup away too if the cashier does that, because I don't want it to be taped at all.

@CandiceMM thank you! Things have gotten better I report. :)

@mursey The plants sound gorgeous! Stinks that some of the really pretty ones can be plastic sometimes. Thank you!

@kellyyoungmoney yeah, I've never seen anyone tape up the hole either until now. Hopefully the plastic plant isn't evil to you like it was to me!

@MadameDesu Aww thank you madamedesu! I feel like his blue sparkles in the light a bit...that's where I got it
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10 
lelei

Beautiful HM!! I love him:) I also love the name, it fits..I have never actually purchased a fish..hahaha..and I have 3 ask me how..well one is my daughter's our first, Sammy our HMDT..and our 2 rescue fishy's 2 VT's a blue one, Sapphire, and our recent rescue, Crimson, a Red VT..oh boy..Now I actually want to buy one..lol..Congrats on your new fishy!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote