Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #1 
bettasloveme

Should people buy bettas if...

... they do not have the money to properly care of for it?

A lot of times, when I am giving betta advice, money comes up as being an issue. I have known that fish keeping costs A LOT of money.

Is it fair to the betta? Is it fair to the person?
bettasloveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think money can be that much of an issue, betta are the most affordable fish...
If it comes up, advise them to look for tanks on craigslist, or even at stores that sell things used..
Really, the only things a person needs to buy new is a heater, thermometer and food..
I think if someone loves their fish and already has it they should pull through with it... If they don't have a fish they should be encouraged to save up money for it...

Is it fair to the fish... Yes, I think. There's so many out there who have owners who don't try, having an owner who at least cares and is trying to do good is a blessing for a fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #3 
MadameDesu

I struggled with this issue myself. Even keeping a 2.5gal has run me over $100 and that's pretty daunting. I knew it would be easier to just keep one in a jar, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it knowing my fish would be miserable.
So I would have to say, yes. If you know you can't afford it or aren't willing to spend the money, I would say don't do it. You'll just end up with dead fishies :/
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #4 
MSG

This totally depends on the skill level of the owner.

Unless it's winter, a heater isn't NECESSARY unless your betta's water temperature is consistently falling below 70 or it's SICK.

MadameD. How did you end up spending $100 on your 2.5G.

Since I bought my girls in July, I've only spent $1-2 on them. (Water & Electricity)

But keep in mind, I did what I could to make sure I picked out a good healthy betta. So far so good.

If I chose one that was sick, I could have easily spent $20 on medications and other remedies.

Yes, I feel bad when I see sick and deformed one, but I don't have the time or experience to nurse those back to health.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 
MadameDesu

Well, it wasn't just $100 on the tank itself, but all the things I needed for fish care. Like gravel siphon, water conditioner, test kit, gravel, decorations, heaters (I bought a bum hydro theo I had to replace), food, etc.
It all added up quickly, and for a college student ... it was a good bit of money.
I want to get a job so I can earn more and upgrade it!
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh yea I can do a betta tank for $40, tank included.
I did spend $50 on my test kit but it branches out to all 5 of my fish tanks. Really with a small betta in a small tank you don't need a test kit to keep it healthy.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 
Pilot00

My opinion is no and i will elaborate with a paradigm that doesnt involve bettas. I have 2 canaries one male one female in dif cages.

Initial costs aside (about 50 euro for the both of them including cages the female been a purchase new branches, food and feeders) it costs 5 euro monthly to provide food,water fruit and clean the cage. Now you will say 5 euros is much? No it isnt. That is until something not in the plan occurs.

I had the male been attacked by a hawk severing 3 of its toes. I thought the guy would die on me. I got him to the doc for two visits and medication and folding his remaining fingers in casts in order to place them in the right position because they were mauled. All that would cost me around 100 euros but the doc been a good guy let me pay only half the expenses (i am unemployed and for once someone cared).
100 euros which ofc i would give but it would have cost me delaying bills taxes and so on.

A betta's initial costs are around 10-30 euro but if something goes awry you might need to waste triple that amount in equipment (medical tanks, better food, medicine, salts and the list goes on). So its not so dif from the example above.

In conclusion my opinion is this: It is affordable to have an animal and care for it in a daily basis but if you really care for it you need to be ready to spend more in case of emergency. If an owner for whatever reason cant afford that it is better not to have an animal. Especially if your income depends on others (i.e. teens for example) and the one responsible for your income has the altitude: its just a fish/bird whatever.
This becomes even worse for bettas since they cost next to nothing to purchase and most people see them as expendable.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I don't think money can be that much of an issue, betta are the most affordable fish...
If it comes up, advise them to look for tanks on craigslist, or even at stores that sell things used..
Really, the only things a person needs to buy new is a heater, thermometer and food..
I think if someone loves their fish and already has it they should pull through with it... If they don't have a fish they should be encouraged to save up money for it...

Is it fair to the fish... Yes, I think. There's so many out there who have owners who don't try, having an owner who at least cares and is trying to do good is a blessing for a fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #9 
Kenny G

Most people don't understand the commitment level needed to maintain betta's. It's a lot more than just throwing a fish in a bowl and feeding it. Yes the expense can add up but much like anything else you have to count the cost. Once I opened that door I knew there was no turning back. I love my betta's and do all that I can to maintain their good health and well being. Forums like this one are perfect for beginners too experts to learn, exchange ideas and solutions. If it helps one person become a better well informed owner of these tiny creatures then it is worth it.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

With my first betta back in June I spent the most to get him set up, about $100 dollars with the $45 5g tank kit, good quality food, thermometer, etc. Each betta after was a lot less because I had most of the equipment needed. Now it's a matter of a tank, which the 2.5 here is around $12, a thermometer, substrate, and plants/hiding spots. Mine don't need heaters until around October. I now have 5 bettas all in different size and style tanks, and they are happy and healthy fish!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote