Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #1 
GamingGal

Help A Newbie?

Hey guys!

I've meandered through the stickies here, but all the information starts jumbling together, especially with my research done before I came here, so I turn to you guys to guide me towards the light.

I have two Veiltail bettas (didn't want anything too expensive for my first breeding venture). The boy is a dark reddish color with what seems green or blue hues to his fins. Very pretty to me. The girl is white with red fins. I have them in a 10gal with a divider between them. A very small filter is on the tank. Currently I don't have a heater (buying one tomorrow), but I siphon water out and add warmer water twice a day in attempts to keep it in their preferred range. Each fish has a little home to hide in if desired and I have a plant growing in each side. I currently have gravel in the bottom, but am considering taking it out (I heard betta's don't need/like it?). I feed them betta food and blood worms routinely.

Anyways, the girl is full of eggs. Her belly or what-have-you is bloated and I can see the white dot where her ovipositer is, but no vertical bars yet (not sure if it's due to her coloring or not). The male has built a rather nice bubble nest (it's torn a few times when I change water, but he always rebuilds, and it's getting taller/thicker!) and tends to follow the girl when she's near the divider, flaring and showing off. Sometimes she flares back.

I've put her in his side of the tank twice already. The first time, they both seemed confused as heck as to why they were together. He chased her, but she eventually holed up in the top corner of the tank and just.....sat there. He'd sit under his nest, swim over sometimes, flare, and then go back. A few times he'd swim over and she'd flare and he'd swim away before doing anything. The second time I put them together, he chased her a lot more, and it was more aggressive. Eventually, though, she holed up in her top corner again and the same thing repeated.

Are they simply not interested in one another? Am I doing something wrong?

Best Wishes,
GamingGal
GamingGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #2 
mkayum

Sounds like they're not ready. I suggest youto remove the girl from the male's side and let female recovers a bit.. Hopefully someone with experiences in this forum would chime in..,
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 
bananasammy8

What I do is, an most people, is put the female in a jar in the tank a see through jar, so they can see each other perfectly but not be able to chase then you release the female when the male is done building the bubblenest or when the female has vertical bars. Soon they will play the chasing game and the male will chase her away from the bubblenest and then build some more. Then the follow the leader game will come where the male is now ready and will show of to the female and try and lure her to the bubblenest. When the female and male are both under the nest and are wiggling and doing a dance that when they will embrace, it may take a while for eggs to come out because they male needs to get the embrace just right for the female. The male will then keep embracing and pick up the eggs and put them in the nest they do this till the female is out and he chases her away from the nest. Then you take the female out of the tank. You let the male take care of the eggs with light always on the tank so he can see, even at night, the fry will hatch in 24 hours or a little more. In three days or until the fry are free swimming you take the male out or he will eat the fry. You then have fry!

Okay so your questions do not have gravel in the tank! More eggs will not be found so take it out it's harder for them to find the eggs also.

Do you have the water level at Half way up the tank? If not then make it half way not al the way because it makes it easier for them to pick up the eggs.
But when the fry are about a week old start adding an inch a day. You will need at least a 20 gallon grow out tank for them when the get bigger depending on the size of your spawn. You will need to have either live baby brine shrimp(hatch it yourself) or micro worms or banana worms to feed the fry they will only eat live food for the beginning. So I think that all try all the stuff I said an you might have a spawn!
bananasammy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 
lvandert

I would say wait, and invest in indian almond leaf. It promotes breeding in bettas. also yes remove the grave especially for the eggs and young fry. The fry will swim into the gravel but not be able to swim out, and then you have dead rotting fish you can't get to poisoning your tank. You will need another tank for a grow out and I didn't hear you mention anything about a sponge filter. You need a sponge filter for fry. You also NEED a heater for spawning and babies. the eggs wont hatch in cold water and you can't be doing a water change with eggs in the nest, not without destroying the nest at least.

If everything goes well be prepared to find homes for 100+ babies. this also includes having individual jars for each of those babies. The reason people don't breed VT is because no one really wants them. You may end up with a bunch of little fish no one wants.

Last edited by lvandert; 08-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #5 
Thomasdog

VTs!!! :) Good luck and listen to what Ivan said... good luck again!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

GamingGal, breeding bettas is not just about having a male and a female and getting them to spawn... there's a lot of preparation that needs to take place in order to succesfully raise fry. This is not a cheap hobby, many supplies are needed in order to keep healthy fish and raise a spawn.
First, you need to make sure you can keep healthy fish. I kept bettas over 2 years before I got into breeding and during that time I researched, researched, researched, and got prepared.
Here'a a good breeding info page from the now #1 breeder in the US
http://www.arizonabettaheads.info/page15.html
Hope you take advise and get yourself properly ready, we would love to help you along the way.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 
GamingGal

Isn't have the female in the tank with the divider the same as having her in a jar with the male? She sits by the divider a lot.

Okay, I'll take out the gravel.

I know this isn't a "cheap hobby" or anything like that. I've got a grow out tank, little jars, food for the babies, two local places interested in babies, a few people interested, etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
lvandert

Unless your divider is clear not really. They need to be able to see each other to be able to read their body language.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 
GamingGal

The divider is clear, though.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #10 
cjconcepcion

what food do you have for them?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote