Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #1 
apt403

My B. splendens Will Only Eat Bloodworms

Hey all, I was walking through Wally World one day by some trick of fate, and I noticed the Bettas sitting in their tiny, small cups.

As a kid I used to own a Betta. One of my first pets - Lived for 2 or 3 years, until it contracted some sort of infection from a contaminated net, and passed. I abstained from owning another fish after that, the unexpected loss hit my pre-adolescent heart hard.

But back to the point - The tiny cups tore at the heart strings a little, and I wound up buying one of them.

The issue - He (???) only eats blood worms! Not a single other thing will this fish consume. I was worried about another bacterial infection, but the worms I've got are freeze-dried and supposedly more or less sterile.

Either way, I'm worried about him getting proper nutrition. I picked up some Hikari Bio Gold, and it doesn't seem like he can eat it. He'll be very excited, swimming up to the surface to grab the pellet, but shortly after eating, he throws it up. It didn't seem like the most pleasant thing to be subjected to, so I stopped trying to feed him the pellets, and he's been on a straight blood worm diet for a month+.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to feed him, to even out his diet a little bit?

Regards,

-Apt (hopefully one day, at Betta feeding)
apt403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #2 
MSG

Take a picture of him, I'm curious how a betta looks when they're only eating dried worms.

Mine actually dislike the F-D worms.

Once you start feeding them FD worms, they get SPOILED & will refuse all other food.

Stop feeding him the worms till he starts to eat the pellets.

This is what I would do.

• No food for at least 2 days.
  • Day 3, give him 1 pellet. Leave it for 1 hour. If it's still there, remove it.
  • Day 4 give him 1 pellet. Leave for 30 minutes. Still there, remove it.
  • Day 5 give him 1 pellet. Remove after 15 minutes.
  • Day 6 hopefully he'll be eating by now.
Once he realizes pellets is all he'll get, he'll eat.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Ouch, sorry what you went through. Hikari Bio-Gold changed their ingredients and now it's filled with cheap fillers. D: Anyways, yes. Freeze Dried foods don't have any bad bacteria in them. Most Bettas love them but it can cause bloat. Just don't feed him for 2-3 days and feed him 1 pellet. If he still doesn't eat it, take it out and try again the day after. If hungry, Bettas will eat no matter the food so starvation is the way for him to eat it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 
apt403

@MSG: I'll put a picture up - he's more or less the same color as when I got him, an off pink.

I'll try fasting again for longer. I tried once, but only went two days or three days.

The issue is that he DOES eat the pellet - but promptly throws it back up. He'll go for it two or three times, then it seems like he gets discouraged and gives up trying to eat it. I guess those things are a bit different than a dehydrated worm, in consistency.

Sorry for the quality, I blame it on the iPhone, and his love of swimming. :P

apt403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #5 
MSG

He'll eat it eventually. Just stop feeding him the bloodworms. Bettas supposedly can live for weeks without food.

Eventually when he does eat pellets......

For every 20 pellets he eats & swallows, give him 1 or 2 bloodworms.

Any new betta I bring home, I keep them in a small container until they eat properly.

Two of them were slightly picky eaters, Blue Delfine/Delfino & Lava Red Girl were the worst. Now they eat EVERYTHING.

Since July, every single one of my bettas has eaten the following.....
  • 6-7 different types of pelleted foods.
  • I never fed them flakes.
  • freeze dried bloodworms, most don't like it.
  • 100 mosquito larvae (assorted sizes)
  • fruit flies
  • chopped caterpillars
  • silkworms
  • 3 different types of snails (they decided to remove them from the shells)
Their immune systems should be mighty strong right now.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #6 
MSG

You need to learn how to take pictures with the iphone. It's not the device, it's the person who's using it.

I recommend taking pictures with the help of sunlight.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #7 
Laki

He looks a little chubby to me.
Stop feeding him for a few days. The freeze dried bw can cause bloat (that swelling of the belly) And as suggested offer a pellet or two after 2 days of fasting. If he doesn't eat it, try the next day. He will eat.
I keep 4 different pellets around and frozen bloodworms. Omega one, attisons plus, aqueon and a tetramin sinking crumble which they hardly get. I pick fruit flies off the ceiling when I see them and the fish love that. I never tried mosquito or worms or anything though I'm sure my pigs would devour them.
Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Try a different pellet. Mine all LOVE the Top Fin Betta bits, also try crushing it up. Some of it may sink by doing that but it'll give him something to graze on, just do a couple to see how well he eats them. I tried Wardley once & NONE of them would eat them. Also sometimes they spit it out, suck it back in, spit it back out, suck it back in & eventually it's eaten. My newest female is so tiny but she's eating the pellets & she does the sucking it in, spitting it out thing until its small enough she can finish it off.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 
Twilight Storm

+1 to crushing your pellets lightly into slightly smaller chunks. He just might be having a hard time with their size atm. He will eat pellets for you like everyone said. If someone offered you your favorite food (and didn't know about keeping yourself healthy) vs something you didn't like as much or hated, you would take your favorite food every time. :D

I agree Hikari was the top of the line betta food then they changed their recipe. Now it's really sub-par. Grains are one of the first ingredients and the protein content of the food is lower then a lot of other better foods out there. There are a lot of people here still using it, and like the food however. If your betta doesn't eat the pellets crushed lightly, I would swap pellets. Keep trying for a while though. I had a betta that would not eat anything for a month.

New life spectrum makes a betta pellet, and also have a grow formula which is good. My fish liked the Aqueon betta pellets too although it's not as good as the NLS. When you open NLS it smells like shrimp (not bad shrimp but you can tell they used it as a main ingriedient which is good imo). When you open the Aqueon pellets it pretty much has no smell. It's been so long since I messed with the Hikari, but I don't remember it having a scent either. Right now im using NLS betta pellets because our pet stores don't carry grow and the container of food lasts a LONG time.

Once he is eating his pellets keep on with the bloodworms as treats a couple times a week but always give one after he ate his pellets. Fasting your fish once a week is often recommended anyway. I do most weeks. Sometimes I don't and just feed once that day, rather then twice, instead of fasting.

(the above are just my opinions though, do what works best for you.)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hijacking!
but this is an iphone photo too!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...u/05c45c8a.jpg
you need a nice bright lighting, dont hold the phone too close... and snap many many times :)
tap to focus, then snap immediately
keep your hands nice and steady. then you can crop into the picture
ao is offline   Reply With Quote