Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #1 
a_nc_female

New addition to my family

I have had my new Betta for 3 weeks now and his name is "occupant", hubby thought of that name and I actually like it. I have been told to change his water every 3 days or so and know not to use tap water. I have been using rain water (brought inside and to room temperature)...and it seems to be doing fine (please let me know otherwise). He will not eat pellets though..after a couple of days...I was told to get black dried worms (which he likes,,,a lot). Is that ok to just feed him those. I have put him in a wide flower glass hanging vase, which he enjoys..I actually take it off the wall at night and bring him in the bedroom for it's a bit warmer there. I go up to him from time to time and talk with him...he gets really excited and swims real fast up and down the vase but keeps facing me the whole time...is this normal? I have also been told to put a mirror beside the vase from time to time for it builds up their metabolism which is healthy..for all of us :D
a_nc_female is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #2 
fish_4_all

Vary his diet, too much protein can lead to problems down the road. Live food such as grindal worms, white worms or time nightcrawlers are readily accepted. Also, blanched peas feeding only the smallest pieces should be readily accepted.

As for rain water, if it has worked for a while then it could be ok, just be cautious because rian is acidic by nature. Also, do not collect the rain water off the roof as it can have alot of contaminants in it including pesticides, polution and other nasties. Use a clean bucket and a tarp or something to funnel the water in to collect enough for water changes.

I missed the mirrors thing. No mirrors. Bettas flair to fight with other males. This stresses them out. Maybe once in a while when he is eating right and looks really healthy but I would not do it very often.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote