Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 
Pilot00

I am confused.What is marbling exactly?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. Please move it if necessary.

I want to ask as the title says what exactly is this marbling effect. As far as i understand it, it is not a disease but some kind of reaction that some bettas undergo. Now i understand that this thing must be a genetic thingie that has to do with colouring. I am correct? Or is it something more serious?

If it isnt genetic is there a cause for it? Does the transition between colours effect the fish negatively and is there anything to do for it? Does died affect it?

Any advice is welcome!
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #2 
lvandert

marbling is a genetic coloring. Marbling is transforming one color to another in random splotches. If you see a betta that kinda looks like it has koi fish splotches of color, thats a marble. and when those change around thats called marbling. This is a marble, and she of course changed colors and now her splotches are in different spots lol
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
Pilot00

Is the colouring random or fixed? I.E. brown turns to white, red to black etc?

Thanks for taking the time to answer lvandert. So it is something natural. Is there a set time or condition this genome expresses itself or is it completely random?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
lvandert

its random, and the coloring is random too. I've heard of people buying a lighter color betta and over time true colors showed and then it marbled to a whole new color scheme. I think the most impressive was a whiteish fish with red wash and a few hints of black, going to all black with red and green.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 
Myates

Yep.. marble is a recessive gene (I'm pretty sure it's the most recessive of all their genes) and tends to be hard to breed. It breeds truer in females, but even then you're not always guaranteed to get marble fry. I love marbles as they are always changing and never stop. It's like getting a new fish every month :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 
lvandert

I only have one marble girl and that was it lol. her pectoral fins have blued up really well and we have a few more tiny splotches of blue starting but overall she's very similar to when i got her. Actually! (brainwave) pm 123andpoof and ask them on the marble hmpk boy they won in the contest. I remember his whole anal fin changed on them during shipping
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 
tpocicat

As stated above, marble is genetic. It doesn't hurt the fish in any way. I love marbles because when you look in their tank, you never know what might be looking back! LOL
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Marble is a gene (or what ever) which causes a color to change (marbling effect). Sometimes it changes once (most common is changing from a dark color to a pale fleshy color), but some may change 2-3 times - from dark to light then dark again, whether back to it's original color or to a different color. It is not a deformity and will not harm the fish in any way. I don't really like them because they change a color/pattern I've fallen in love with.

It is recessive in the sense that most of one batch will not marble, but it will be carried for generations and you will always have a number of marbles.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 
Pilot00

Thanks guys, that puts me at ease. Its the first time i have heard of that kind of thing. I knew fish colour gets more vibrant or paler in relation to their diet/stress/living conditions but i had never known that a gradual change of colour might occur.

It is a slow process, fast or random in the time it takes to change?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

They can marble overnight actually. It can be fast, or even really slow.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote