Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #1 
Jully

Question Filter

Hello, today I was helping my friend set up her new 5g tank with a Tetra Whisper filter, I was able to get the bubbles to come up is that suppose to happen with these filters and will it push the betta away? At the moment her betta is living with me due to a LOT of issues so I have him in a huge tank with filters & a heater. Is it better for the bubbles to come up? Will the betta be pushed away?
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

As long as the outflow and input is working, I say it's normal. I have a sponge filter in my 3.5 gallon tank and it needs airline tubing and an aerator to work. But, your filter is an internal one so I don't know about that.
You know if it's going to bother your Betta if you see it struggling to swim and such. Just make sure the Betta can't get sucked up by the input, he might get injured. D:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Is this your filter?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-In-Tank-Filter-3-Gallon/dp/B000HHQ712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344327974&sr=8-1&keywords=whisper+3i]Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter 3I, 1 to 3-Gallon: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame]

The Tetra Whisper 3i is not an effective filter. The riser tube, which draws the water up, is so long that water only flows over the top portion of the filter. Take the cartridge out, look inside while it's running and you'll see what I mean.

You already have the air-pump. You can find a better sponge filter, cheap.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 
Jully

I never got a tubing with the tank? All I got was the filter, plug, and the bio bag with it.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #5 
Jully

My bad it might be the 10i filter, sorry about the mix up guys.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #6 
Jully

Would it be to strong for my betta, I don't want them getting sucked up.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

You have to find out yourself. You have to see if your Betta is struggling to swim, you could always baffle.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Lebron is right. It might be OK; it might not. If your fish has trouble with the current, you can get some filter foam from the pet store and rubber band some around the outflow. To keep him from being sucked in, fasten more foam around the intake.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #9 
KukaaKatchou

I think I have the same filter (and maybe the same tank). Make sure the flow is adjusted to low (back of filter) and it should be ok. My betta doesn't mind it at all.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote