Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #1 
autumnang

strange growth getting worse and new red spots...

Hi to all the betta lovers and care experts...I'm hoiping you can help me with Scotty. I posted here back in January about a strange growth he was developing near where his body meets his back tail. It was the same color as him (white), a bit bulbous, and was growing on both sides of his body. The consensus was that there wasn't much I could do unless it started affecting his daily quality of life. Well, the growth has continued to grow and today I noticed red spots - one on the growth itself and a couple on the ends of his fins. He hasn't been his normal happy self, and is spending his time resting on the bottom of the tank. Please help! What could this be, are there recommended treatments? Prognosis?

I've answered the required questions below...Scotty has been my office pet fish since October 2011.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? Currently, 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio-gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets, twice per day - except on weekends when I'm not here

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% once per week, 100% every month with a good gravel cleaning
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API brand Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? have not tested the water

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bulbous growth near where the body meets the tail, combined with newly formed red spots.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not swimming much at all, appears to slightly struggle to get to surface for food/air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the growth has been getting progressively larger since January; the red spots are new.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, suggestions are welcome!!!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? only the growth of the white bulbos thing
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's been living with me since Oct 2011.
Attached Images

autumnang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 
MadameDesu

As someone with no experience with different fish diseases, I'd venture that it could either be swim bladder or an internal parasite. I'm more inclined to say swim bladder since that bulge could be his swim bladder jutting out. If he's been having trouble swimming, that's a sign too.
If I'm understanding correctly, you've been giving him 3-4 pellets 2x a day for a total of 6-8 pellets in a day? If so, then you could be overfeeding, which is usually the cause of swim bladder disorder. If I'm misunderstanding, just let me know. Even if it isn't swim bladder, I'd limit his food intake to 3 pellets a day, max. It's not a bad thing that he doesn't eat on the weekends as fasting can help clear their digestive systems.
If you suspect it to be swim bladder (after doing more research), it's not too serious. You just need to limit food intake and try fasting for a few days.
Some people even say that getting them to flare helps them poo, so you could try that.
Has he been acting any differently than usual?
EDIT: Just noticed you said he's been resting on the bottom. That's usually a sign something's wrong. If he's been having trouble swimming, try lowering the water level sonhe can reach the surface more easily to breathe.

Last edited by MadameDesu; 08-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 
autumnang

Thanks for the reply, MadameDesu, I did not realize I was overfeeding him! Its strange no one mentioned swim bladder when I posted earlier in the year...

I have just lowered his water level to help him get to the surface.

I also took a couple more pics, in the first one you can see he's having trouble staying upright some of the time. The second one is trying to demonstrate how big that growth is - being on both sides of his body. Then the third is just another full-on look at the red spots.

Do you think trying a QT with salt would help?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 
MadameDesu

I'm not completely sure if the growth is related to swim bladder, but if he's having trouble righting himself, that's another classic sign.
That's really curious that he does have that growth. According to this diagram (http://www.bettainfo.com/wp-content/...sh-anatomy.jpg) the only thing there that could swell up would be his bladder, unless it's some sort of tumor ... The red spots are puzzling to me as well.
As for salt treatments, the general rule is aquarium salt for external problems like fin rot, and Epsom is for internal like parasites. Not sure if you could use Epsom or not.
I wish someone with more experience could help us, lol. You could try PMing some of the more experiences members as well, like OldFishLady. She gives great advice.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 
MadameDesu

Something else to help would be upping the temperature to about 80*. Unless it's bacteria, and it doesn't seem to be, bettas feel more comfortable in higher temperatures and usually recover faster.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 
autumnang

Thanks for the advice! I upped the temp, and moved him to a smaller QT tank that is much cleaner - he was kicking up nasty bits while flailing around on the bottom (it is close to gravel-cleaning time!). It does seem to have stressed him a bit and he is now breathing hard and laying on his side...I was able to get a really good picture - hopefully I can solicit some advice from the more experienced members - thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #7 
MadameDesu

Is that just a cup he's in or the actual QT?
While he's in there, maybe clean his tank? You can't go wrong with a water change.