Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
gossipgirl1031

Baby Betta with possible ammonia poisoning

I wound up picking up another baby at Petco yesterday (sucker-I know). He's been there for over a week & I'd been watching him. Wasn't really trying to add to my workload since school starts back in 2 weeks, but I couldn't help myself. Bode has extremely red gills, is struggling to breathe and is super clamped along with refusing food. He was removed from the cup and is in clean, warm water. Since my care didn't cause the problem, can I do anything else to help him other than my normal regimen? His breathing my be a bit better today, but not by much. Thoughts?
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

all i know to do is just keep cleaning the water...put it in a dark place with minimum distractions(people walking,other animals etc) give it a little hiding place like a plant or decor that it can go in to hide.

what is it in now?whats the temp of the water?
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

and r u using water conditioner?and where are u getting the water from?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
gossipgirl1031

Sadly, the little guy passed away Monday afternoon. Water comes from the tap, but I add API's Stress Coat as a conditioner. He hadn't been doing well at all when I had checked on him at the store & finally caved & took him home hoping he would make it, but not really expecting him to pull through. I did take home a new baby on Tuesday with really red gills too & he's doing much better with warm, clean water & proper food. Thanks for the suggestions :)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #5 
prodrumernate

oh im sorry to hear that :(

API is good.i love API stuff..pet stores dont really seem to care too much about bettas.ive fount several in bad shape.i want more bettas.but currently no room.though i could start another sorority in my 20 gallon.i might have to do that :)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #6 
gossipgirl1031

I get that! Between the cat, rat, mice & the bettas there's hardly any room left for me in my own apartment ;) Wouldn't trade it though. I saw 2 more (adults) that I would have loved to have taken home, but I'm a little short on space & time at the moment. Don't want to over commit myself with school starting back up on the 20th.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #7 
prodrumernate

i live in a 1 bed room apartment with 2 other people.we actually had to take stuff to storage just so we can walk around ;) but i was able to convince them to let me set up my 10 gallon,20 gallon and my little 2 gallon.

i too have seen several fish i want.infact i was at the pet tore and seen a nice double tail.my dad was impressed.i wanted to get it.but the only other place i can keep it is in a 1 gallon hospital tank.no way am i doing that.i have a girl in there now and im waiting for her to tank cycle.ive already got 3 bettas,2 females and a male..

i wanted a cat but my dad said no.grrr....when i lived in kansas city missouri i had a few cats.my mom had several snakes and reptiles and a betta.but i was in the basement and took care of the cats and went up stairs for the betta.it a big reason i got back into them :)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #8 
gossipgirl1031

I feel your pain, I live in a basement studio style apartment, no bedroom. Just me & the pets though. It's always interesting trying to find enough outlets to plug in everything the fishies need to be comfortable. I've got 13 bettas! 2 are "babies" that need the extra time & work. I have to update my signature to add on the new baby, Glenn (huge The Walking Dead Fan). Only one cat, Jack (the handsome boy in the photo). He's my biggest baby ;) One female rat who I'm trying to find a new cagemate for after her's passed away. And 2 mice. ALL are rescues! I must have "sucker" written on my forehead ;)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #9 
gossipgirl1031

I have yet to get any bettas with cool tail types. Closest I got was a King, but he passed away a little while ago. Thanks one tank that could be refilled. They get to be HUGE! He was about 4 inches long.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

atleast what we have is better than nothing :) im happy with what i got.i needed a hobby to get me out of bed and back into shape.so i went with fish..glad i did.though i wish i had a cat as well.ur cat reminds me of my old cat before he was put to sleep...he had 1 eye and was death.but he loved to sleep with people.

all ive had is veil tails.hopefully once money starts coming back in we will have a better place and my own room.then ill stock up on fish..u have a lot.wish i had that many :)