Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #11 
prodrumernate

then u do have some knowledge about it.i just replied to a post where the person went out and got a tank and everything.and freaked the betta out...and i agree i wouldnt want to sell to any1 who will keep it in a bowl.though my female is in a bowl.but only temporarily.i too lost some girls.actually 5 of them.in my sorority.before i realized i had to cycle etc.

i want to get some java ferns.especially to make a south east asia theme tank.but money is not something i have rite now ;)

id make sure u do have a water tet kit before actually starting.

and ye bettas are exploding all of a sudden.i had 1 before a couple year back.but i moved and left him behind.i took care of it somewhat.but my mom left it behind where i was staying when she moved and the owner of the house took care of him.i just cleaned out his little 1 or 2 gallon tank.i forgot the exact size.

id like to see pix of ur dads tank and then ur setup once its done.

but its good every1 is taking interest in them.they are fun to keep.my 3 each have their own personality. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #12 
PaintedOaksOki

I know for sure that we have the test kit, we've used it in the last couple months! Wow! I had no clue cycling a tank was so important! Every other tank my dad has set up in the past was very much successful, with multiple fish. I believe they were hardier fish.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #13 
prodrumernate

i knew it was important.i just didnt know how to do it.or i thought i did but didnt.and now my tank has been cycled for the past 3 days.tomorrow i plan on putting my male betta in with some rosy red minnows aka feeder fish...

bettas unfortunately arent so hardy.as i learned the hard way..but i now know.u seem to have some good knowledge on fish and aquariums.thats a good thing
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #14 
PaintedOaksOki

I've had fish off and on in my life, and my dad loves fish too, getting a betta sparked his interest in fish again, so he just had to get a tank, lol! He went full out too! Live plants, fluval aquariam, made for plants, as it is a little bit more up right, I believe he had Co2 or some sort of supplements for the plants, all sorts of vitamins and stuff, he still does too. xD My dad got guppies, and they aren't as entertaining as Oki was!

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-07-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 
Enkil

You've been given some good advice. ^_^

In my sorority, I was keeping floating java moss up at the top for my girls to be able to hide in. They also had decorations to hide in, other live plants, and some silk plants. My tank was very heavily planted.
(Past tense because there was an accident involving someone else and my sorority tank. Lost all but my Conchenn.)

The only aggression I ever had was the addition of my last female, a marble HMPK I have named Conchenn. I was being very careful with her and was watching her carefully. She seemed to want to face down the queen of my tank, but they then swam off in opposite directions. I woke the following morning to the most timid of my females dead and one of my lovely dragon girls not acting right (believe she had internal injuries). Conchenn then tried to stare down the queen of my tank again. Only, Freydis was not backing down. Saw the body language in Freydis that clearly meant she was going to go after Conchenn... So Conchenn got her own tank.
She was my only problem girl.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #16 
prodrumernate

my dad use to be a manager at a pet shop and his specialty was aquariums.though at the theme he as manager there wasnt much about cycling.i think he was manager before i was born(im 25) so that kinda give u an idea when he last dealt with them.though i had a tank when i was younger.

jeez i wish i have the money ur dad does.fluval is not cheap.i have some fluval filters but i got it off a guy from craigslist.sold me alot of good things for 20 bucks.id really like to see ur dads tank.

ince he has many plants a co2 is a great idea.i dont have many so dont really need it.guppies arent bad though.i only have had and still have bettas and rosy red minnows.the fish i had when i was younger.i forgot what kind it was.too long ago.

thank you Enkil :)
i too lost a female 1 morning due to another or others attacking.its actually not as easy as people think it is to have sorority.they might get along for a while but can easily turn on 1 another.though there will be some pecking in order to establish and maintain a pecking order.but when it come down to tearing fins up and chasing to the point the other cant get away.thats too much..

i miss having a sorority.i think later once i learn a little more about bettas and cycling.ill set up another.it was my fault i lost 5 of my girls within a week or 2 time.but we learn from our mistakes.and its y im here..to help others :)

Enkil is that Conchenn in ur avatar?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #17 
PaintedOaksOki

I do plan for sure getting my sorority set up on a weekend were I have all day for two days just to monitor them, or maybe on a friday after school when I can have that extra bit of time (I'll probably skip the friday, and go saturday morning or something, so I can monitor things more closely and make sure everyone gets along.
His light recently burnt out, so once the new bulbs in I'll take a few pictures! :D
He doesn't have time right now to take care of his tank so I might be getting put in charge of it! HEHE Maybe I'll get a male to go in that tank... My dad has been problems keeping fish alive in that tank though, I think it may be that for a while he was testing different vitamins out for his plants and such, and obviously the plants were fine with that, but I'm not to sure the fish were! Also the pet stores here seem to have sickly fish :/
Petsmart is better though, although Petland has nicer betta males. Their females are just horrible, maybe I'll get my girls from there, they seem to be in rough shape... The females do live together in a big tank, there's only like 10 of them in there at once... But last time I was there, their females were on the small side, not very colorful, and stressed...
Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #18 
PaintedOaksOki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
You've been given some good advice. ^_^

In my sorority, I was keeping floating java moss up at the top for my girls to be able to hide in. They also had decorations to hide in, other live plants, and some silk plants. My tank was very heavily planted.
(Past tense because there was an accident involving someone else and my sorority tank. Lost all but my Conchenn.)

The only aggression I ever had was the addition of my last female, a marble HMPK I have named Conchenn. I was being very careful with her and was watching her carefully. She seemed to want to face down the queen of my tank, but they then swam off in opposite directions. I woke the following morning to the most timid of my females dead and one of my lovely dragon girls not acting right (believe she had internal injuries). Conchenn then tried to stare down the queen of my tank again. Only, Freydis was not backing down. Saw the body language in Freydis that clearly meant she was going to go after Conchenn... So Conchenn got her own tank.
She was my only problem girl.
O.O Oh wow... Do figure Conchenn was the one who killed them then?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Looks like Nate has learned and gives good advice, so just a few things from me.

---Don't use rotting fish, shrimp or fishfood if there is any way for you to get "pure" ammonia (that does NOT foam when you shake it). Rotting stuff gets moldy. Bad for fish and hard to clean out.

---Set up your sorority tank with as many plants as you can. Your Dad's being a plant guy really helps here.

---I don't understand why you'd want to get "small, not very colorful....horrible " females "in rough shape." If it were my tank, I'd be looking for the biggest, healthiest, most colorful and active females I could find.

----You might want to practice using the test kit on your Dad's tank. You'll learn good habits and he'll appreciate someone checking his tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #20 
prodrumernate

im trying Hallyx :) glad u noticed...and i agree with what Hallyx said..

i only get my bettas from petsmart..i think they are a lot better than other pet stores ive gone too.plus at the times i got mine.they were on sale for .99.in a way its good they arent on sale rite now.i might be suckered into getting another female,no place to put it at ;)

Hallyx,is it safe now to put my male betta into my 10 gallon.im going to check the water parameters here shortly.but today make the 4th day its been cycled.everything is great in it and the rosy reds are just waiting? :)