Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #21 
PaintedOaksOki

It was just a thought that I'd get those females, but I highly doubt I will, just because all our fish for Petland die -_- SO Petsmart it is! I've used the test kit before, but some extra practice wouldn't hurt me either! Hmm.... I might be waiting for Petsmart to get there next shipment in, they don't seem to have females in very often... Oh well it'll be worth the wait, and it'll give me more time to cycle the tank.
We are going to Petsmart here soon, to buy some stuff for our puppy so I'll take a look at the fish selection quickly too!

Can I cycle my tank using some live plants from my dad's tank?
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #22 
Enkil

I know it was Conchenn. I had her try to take out a male I was attempting to spawn her with. She was going after his body and he was trying to hide. Had to remove him.

You just have to keep an eye on them. Some females are not sorority material and need to be housed by themselves.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #23 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
It was just a thought that I'd get those females, but I highly doubt I will, just because all our fish for Petland die -_- SO Petsmart it is! I've used the test kit before, but some extra practice wouldn't hurt me either! Hmm.... I might be waiting for Petsmart to get there next shipment in, they don't seem to have females in very often... Oh well it'll be worth the wait, and it'll give me more time to cycle the tank.
We are going to Petsmart here soon, to buy some stuff for our puppy so I'll take a look at the fish selection quickly too!

Can I cycle my tank using some live plants from my dad's tank?
female bettas go fast.i had to go to 3 different petmarts just to get 4 females to add to mine.i ended up buying all they had.but they get more in the middle of the week i believe.

definitely no reason to rush.its really good to finish the cycle.

yes u can cycle using live plants.i did it to mine during the entire cycle.good thing is plants keep ur nitrates low.well depending on what kinda plants u have also.i have red ludwigia.they uck up nitrates like a big truck does gas..mine are fast growing stem plants so its a reason y that has happened.

but sure add live plants.it will help :) as well as look great
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #24 
PaintedOaksOki

O.O oh wow... Well atleast Conchenn has her own tank now! :)

So if one female is aggressive and remove her, and just leave the other four? Or would I need to buy another female?
I'll just take a few plants from my dad's tank, to go in! I'll anchor it all down except one or two so they can float! I'll cycle using live plants... Sounds like my best bet!

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #25 
prodrumernate

its better the female are kept together in odd numbers.when i separated my too aggressive female,i went and got another.i put my aggressive 1 in a 2 gallon where she still remains.its good to have a spare hospital tank incase u have to remove 1.

its actually easy to cycle even with live plants.just very time consuming.but works out great :)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #26 
PaintedOaksOki

Alright I'll remember that!

Thanks for your help! :D
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #27 
prodrumernate

no problem :)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #28 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Having live plants in the tank helps to prevent ammonia spikes and keep nitrates down. But the most important thing for promoting the cycle is seeded media (gravel or filter foam with bacteria in it). I'm assuming that your Dad's tank is cycled, so ask him for an 1/8 cup of gravel to put in a high-flow area and/or a little foam to put in your filter. Or run your filter in his tank (along with his) for a week or two. You'll have all the bacteria you need.

Find out what day you Petcosmart gets Betta delivered. That's the day to go.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #29 
MSG

Why does everyone like to do things the hard way. Hally has the right idea.

The only way you'll know is to ask.

You could call ahead as well.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #30 
PaintedOaksOki

Alright, thanks! Since my dad has, these little dirt beads, instead of gravel I'll use some filter media! :D I'll make sure to find out what day their females usually come in on while I'm there, I'll be at Petsmart in a day or two because we need to buy puppy supplies!