Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Diy co2

has anyone ever tried this? I read that one method can be to fix the tube out to the filter in take. How would I go about doing that? can I stick it right down near the impeller instead? since I have a HOB?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #2 
MSG

I've seen people use a empty 2 liter soda bottles & standard bread yeast to inject co2 into their tanks with airline tubing attached to some sort of diffuser. Never heard of tubing into the filter or the impeller method though.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3 
mattoboy

I tried sticking the tube into my filter intake but I do not know how they do it because I almost broke my filter :S
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

:O I think it's probably for those filters with the big intakes. mine are miniscule. I might just have it collect somewhere and hopefully it will dissolve into the water... ordering one of those co2 diffusser things online soon.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #5 
Relic

You just squish the tubing and stuff it in the intake tube guard thingy. I use a 2 liter bottle, yeast and sugar...I use a chop stick as a diffuser, just cut a peice of the chop stick and slip into the tubing. It seems like if you connect it to your filter you'll loose a lot of the Co2 with the surface disruption that the filter causes. When I set up my big tank I'll be switching the DIY system for a high pressure system.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

oO this is the itake I have
... it's sealed down the bottom

and the horizontal slits are a few millimeters thick :O
Will any chopstick work? do those mist air stone things work...?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Aokasi,
Are you really ready to go with the high-intensity lighting that I hear are needed with CO2? More importantly, are your fish ready?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #8 
Relic

What kind of plants do you have? Are you sure you even need to inject Co2? It's beneficial for most plants but it's unnecessary for some of the more common plants.
And yeppers an air stone will work. And I'm not sure if any chopstick will work...I used bamboo.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

CO2 mainly for the glosso, but I have some other plants in there that isnt really growing.. and I do want to grow HC soon too...

@hallyx - I believe my light is enough :O the wpg calculation wont be too accurate since it's a small tank, but I have around 10watt/g. I want to kickstart growth again by dosin ferts and doing CO2 injections :P not too much, I'm goin to slowly work my way up on the co2 doseage...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #10 
glitchsniffer

I have a planted tank that I am working on getting HC and Dwarf Hairgrass to grow in and I just started a DIY Co2 yeast reactor a few weeks ago. I struggled with the same problem for a few days when I found a suggestion to put an unsmoked cigarette filter in the end of the tube to get really fine bubbles. Being a smoker I decided to try it. It produces the finest bubbles that I have seen to date. I previously tried a chopstick with less than desirable results after a day. The first day it looked good but after that the bubble size grew to be just as large as an air stone. Unless you get a super fine air stone it wont really work. Some have used lime wood I think its called but w/o ordering it online I couldn't find it locally. But all in all I have been pleased with the cigarette filter diffuser. Super Tiny bubbles that i put below the flow of my HoB filter and I only lose a few bubble to the top. Most disappear before they get to the surface.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote