Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Question for mouse people

Are they friendly? How much space does one need? And is a wheel necessary?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
gn3ranger

Well i deal with rats but they pretty much have the same needs so For how many I'd guess 2+ since they are social animals. They are indeed friendly depending on how your pet store handles them. For space hm I'm not sure Since they are much smaller than rats but they do not require alot of space I'm guessing any cage that at-least with 12inch width and 15inch length around that ball park Give or take a inch. Just be sure they have room to run and yes a wheel is good for them they are not lazy like rats and actually use the wheel for running.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
Well i deal with rats but they pretty much have the same needs so For how many I'd guess 2+ since they are social animals. They are indeed friendly depending on how your pet store handles them. For space hm I'm not sure Since they are much smaller than rats but they do not require alot of space I'm guessing any cage that at-least with 12inch width and 15inch length around that ball park Give or take a inch. Just be sure they have room to run and yes a wheel is good for them they are not lazy like rats and actually use the wheel for running.
Thank you very much! But I think it's okay to keep one mouse especially a male because they aren't as socially sophisticated as rats... I will look more into it to be sure...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

Female mice can be kept together in groups or pairs, but male mice must be kept alone. Once they are sexually mature, they will start to establish territories and will often fight one another for dominance and rights to the females within their territories.

A wheel is a must. They are very active little things and need something to expend their energy on.

Mice are actually omniverous, which means they will eat insects and carrion (dead animals).
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Female mice can be kept together in groups or pairs, but male mice must be kept alone. Once they are sexually mature, they will start to establish territories and will often fight one another for dominance and rights to the females within their territories.

A wheel is a must. They are very active little things and need something to expend their energy on.

Mice are actually omniverous, which means they will eat insects and carrion (dead animals).
Thank you! So the occasional piece of good quality dog food might be good? Or a mealworm?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 
gn3ranger

An occasional piece of anything really would be good they will literally eat anything.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

So what about food. Is rat food good? (The closest thing Oxbow makes is rat food)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Has anyone used this for a single male? Is it big enough?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_2
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 
gn3ranger

I gotta say that seems legit for 1 single male looks like a fine cage. Rat food is ok for them Don't worry
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
gossipgirl1031

I feed my mice rat food & they seem happy. I have 2 females & in their home I have 2 wheels. Seems to keep them both happy & they are always in both.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote