Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

Baffled Filter Still Too Strong

I got a 10 gallon kit from Petco a few weeks back to split between two of my boys. However, one of them died, and I ended up getting a King, so the 10 gallon was then declared his. It just finished cycling, so I added him into it today, but the filter is too strong for him. Its absolutely LOADED with sponges in an attempt to slow down the flow. Two sponges inside, and one on the out flow. When that wasn't enough, I added the plastic bottle baffle that's on this site, but that doesn't seem to be enough either. Its non adjustable, as far as I can tell, and I don't know what else to do. I'd rather not have to replace the filter, because I'm strapped for cash at the moment. If he absolutely cannot get used to the filter, then I can replace it, but only as an absolute last resort.

He's only pushed around by it when he's close to it, but I think its stressing him out. He got extremely stressed (80% or so color lost, very pronounced stripes) when he found his reflection on the back and was flaring at it for upwards of an hour or two. I've taken care of that problem, but he hasn't gotten back to his normal coloring, and I think part of it is because of the filter.

If you need any more information, just ask.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 
MistersMom

just put something the water can go through, in the part where it comes out, it should disrupt such a strong flow....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=94953
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

I already have, I've got a biosponge there, and just about everywhere else I can squeeze some.. The flow is much slower than it would be normally, but it still pushes him around if he gets too close to it, and I'm pretty sure its stressing him out at least a bit.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #4 
MistersMom

...... i dont know how to fix that.... :/ im sorry
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Maybe you could try covering the input? Get those BIG sponges.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
LittleWatty

I have this one on it already:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2508555..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Only other thing I can think of only one other thing to do with the intake, and that's to stuff it full of sponges. But I'm afraid that'll affect how well it filters my water.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

It won't.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
LittleWatty

I stuffed two more chunks of sponge in my filter. First I tried one of them in the intake, but that caused my filter to lose all suction and thus not work properly (it couldn't suck any water up). I then placed one of the pieces back in by the filter media where I have even more sponge, then put the other one on the outside of the filter, between it (and another sponge) and the baffle. It slowed it down a hair. Still pushes him around, but he can fight it a little easier.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #9 
goldfishyman

Take off the intake tube. Remove the basket. Get some plumbers Teflon tape and wrap it around the tube. Pull it tight so that it starts to cover the hole. Place the basket back on the intake tube and install it back on your filter. The water pressure from the filter should pull the Teflon tape a bit and then create a small hole. The hole will be a lot smaller and reduce the intake flow.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 
MistersMom

Geta water bottle and do that baffle, theres a thread on here somewhere for a how-to on it.