Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 
Leonardo DaFINci

Exclamation Help!!!!

So i posted a while ago about my betta's tail biting problem. The main advice i got was to do regular water changes, which i do! The only thing is, my betta's tail biting has gotten WORSE. Im watching his beautiful fins slowly disappear...and its killing me i dont know how to make him stop! Help?:(

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? around 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? no (could this be it? he is very active though, which ive heard means he isnt cold?)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta pellets, around 6 two times one day, next day 6 one time, alternating. Fast Sunday.
How often do you feed your betta fish? ^^^

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% two times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta fish water conditioner,a little bit of aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: (tested recently, a okay)
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?bite marks ALL over his tail fin...hes is (was:( ) a super delta.....soon he wont have a tail :(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? normal, swimming all over his tank almost constantly!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week after i got him, ive had him 2 months ish
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of...he was a happy healthy fish when i got him :(
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 months
Leonardo DaFINci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Uh... Your feeding him too much. I had those pellets before I bought New Life Spectrum to feed Lebron. I just fed him 1 pellet 3x a day. Those pellets are pretty big for that.

Don't start medicating until you know how to fix tail biting. Even if you try to heal him, he's still going to bite. Give him some more decorations and is your tank lighted? The main causes of tail biting are stress and boredom so maybe that's why. Just do a 95% change since the salt won't evaporate and you need to give him a break until you solve his problem of biting. Just do as I said above and he'll probably get better.
A heater is pretty important. But if your temperature doesn't shift in the night and is warm, you don't need it. I highly suggest it, though. 76F is pretty low but Bettas are still comfortable in that range. 78F-80F is the best range for them. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
Leonardo DaFINci

Thanks! But i read your supposed to put the pellets in your tank then take away what he doesnt eat in three minutes? :O
Leonardo DaFINci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Never put a timer in feeding. That can get him bloated. It's best to feed him judging by the size.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #5 
Sowman

+1

I only feed mine 3-4 pellets a day with no food on the weekends. The heater will help, if you have another fish tank you can put it next to you betta to entertain him. People have said that leaving the TV on sometimes entertains the betta as well. The salt treatment is very important, as Lebron stated; the salt doesnt go anywhere so you'll have to do large water changes to get rid of it. I always do the salt treatment in a smaller QT, this way the regular tanks isnt filled with salt and water changers are a lot easier.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 
lvandert

seeing how the problem started a week after you got him, and has continued until now I'd say he's stressed over his water conditions. For a 5 gallon you should be doing 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change every week. now I read you have a filter, tat can bump you down to 2 50% changes every week, with a 100% water change every other week.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote