Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #11 
Basement Bettas

These are good HMs

One of mine

One of the finest females I've seen. Should have bought her myself

Not really a showable color.. a GOOD butterfly is a 50/50 split. This one is more 1/3 2/3. But still form wise a nice fish.

I got beat out of this one. Again, good form and great color. I did push the person that beat me out on this fish to $80.

Outstanding red with the dark red color prefered in the shows. Handles the heavy branching really well.. and has good length on the tail as well as branching.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I'm very picky. Why? Because I find it hard enough work to raise a spawn. I don't want to spend my time and $$ on trying to re-invent the wheel. I want my fish to be of quality so I start with the best fish I can get a hold of.
I think color is another thing some new breeders don't pay attention to. If you are breeding for show, your fish should be able to fall in a color/fin cathegory. Mixing random color patterns is not good as your fry might not have good color definition.
And if you need help... then ask! We are more happy to help you pick the perfect fish for your breeding goals!
I TOTALLY agree here. It is a LOT of work to bring a spawn up to show shape. why do I want to waste my time to supply locals with free fish or my Oscar with treats. And you do have to think the classes. THere are a lot of "pretty" bettas on AB right now that are flat out mutts. Not showable and so mixed genetically you will get inconsistencies for generations. I am still getting pattern and red wash in one of my lines. Came from a solid blue that had that stuff further up the generation pike. Grr!! And a good multi is planned.. not just a haphazard combo of two "pretty" fish. You have to build form.. but you can not get too far off the color or it is difficult to get back and you produce a lot of fish with no purpose.

Last edited by Basement Bettas; 08-11-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: ** can't spell, especially at this time of the morning
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #13 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
How about crowntails? I will be breeding but I am skulking to find great examples of halfmoons and crowntails :) I will be dealing with quality fish :D
I'm also curious as to what makes a good crowntail. I'd like to breed these, as well as half moons, maybe HMPKs, and maybe DTs. It seems hard to find a good crowntail. So far all of them that I've seen for sale either have curly rays or inconsistent distances between rays, or both. I'm assuming those are bad qualities for show. But what are the good qualities that I should look for? Less rays or more? A smaller amount of rays that are spread further apart? Or a larger amount of rays that are closer together? Any info on crowntails besides what I've asked would be appreciated too.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #14 
vilmarisv

There's 3 different types of CTs in the IBC handbook (crossed, double, single) so the ones you are looking at might fall into one of those.
Straight rays are very hard to keep on CTs as the water quality plays a huge role. You might want to first try to keep CTs with straight rays before attempting breeding as your water might ruin any chances of you ever producing a showable CT.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #15 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
There's 3 different types of CTs in the IBC handbook (crossed, double, single) so the ones you are looking at might fall into one of those.
Straight rays are very hard to keep on CTs as the water quality plays a huge role. You might want to first try to keep CTs with straight rays before attempting breeding as your water might ruin any chances of you ever producing a showable CT.
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. I have one right now with straight rays. But the person I got him from had him in water that looked a bit dirty when I came to get him, so maybe he's just a hardy individual?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #16 
Pixielator

I looked at him more closely today. Some of his rays are slightly curved.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #17 
ClassicCharm

This is a fantastic thread! I have absolutely no intention of showing- my little ones are pet-store bought- but it's really helpful to know what conformation one should be looking for when trying to purchase a good quality fish, no matter what its intended purpose. Is there any relation between good conformation and increased health/ longevity?

Thanks guys! Keep it up!
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is an interesting question. I'd like to know the answer, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #19 
tpocicat

Since people breeding for show quality fish take extra special care of them, IMO I'd say yes, but I don't know if any studies have been done.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #20 
ClassicCharm

What I mean is, *in theory*, if you took equally terrible care of both a poor-quality fish and a high-quality fish, which one would thrive better? Or is there a difference?
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote