Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #41 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
A cockerpoo is a mutt. Naming it cockerpoo is just a way to sell it. I know you know that but it's a mutt :p
Some people call it a hybrid or a "designer mutt". Either way they are adorable! :) I might post pics of the puppy we've bought if wanted....
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #42 
MyRainbowBettaFish

like some people have stated on this thread, i always prefer to rescue from mills or shelters. Imagine how many animals are being neglected, starved abused...gosh, what is wrong with the world !!!!! I just can't even stand taking bout it.....you can also find WAY more unique and lovable animals, IMO
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #43 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
Some people call it a hybrid or a "designer mutt". Either way they are adorable! :) I might post pics of the puppy we've bought if wanted....
I hope you did your research on the breeder:

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/...og_breeder.pdf

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/policy...-breeding.aspx

Were genetic tests done on the parents? heart, eyes, etc.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #44 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I hope you did your research on the breeder:

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/...og_breeder.pdf

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/policy...-breeding.aspx

Were genetic tests done on the parents? heart, eyes, etc.
I don't know the details because my mum did all the research. We've met our breeder and she seems very good and has a lot of happy customers.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #45 
Laki

I'd love to see pics :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #46 
Catfish Billy

She'll be a lot bigger when we get her. Here she is (she's the one at the top):
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #47 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Pugs, bulldogs, boston terriers etc.. Small nosed buggy eyed gremlin dogs have the potential to be ugly. They can have weird eyes staring in opposite directions and just look like the little freaks of nature that they are. Emma is an extremely cute pug though! You're a lucky one. And I know you'd love her either way. The pug who lives upstairs from me is a mix of mostly black and the tan and black colors so he's different than most pugs (and ohmygod I saw a brindle pug once)...I'm sorry if that's your breed of choice but I just thought I'd share why these dogs can be ugly. I know they're good dogs underneath though!
There was a Pet Unlimited here (under Pj's Pets) who sold "pure bred puppies and kittens". A lot of the puppies were sold to the people of the city but a lot of them ended up at the vets and psychologically even worse, my mom's friend inherited a really messed up mill pug who had to be euthanized in his own best interest because there was nothing they could do for his anxiety, depression and behavior problems (peeing and pooing uncontrollaby as an adult dog). It really is shocking and depressing. Fortunately, Pj's Pets stopped selling puppies in the Atlantic provinces a couple years ago (they claim it has nothing to do with the countless protests and irate customers poking their heads in asking about papers and the origins of the dogs). They don't support a local shelter adoption program like petsmart does though which still puts them under my books. They sell sick animals still, like 6 week old baby bunnies. . .
We didn't choose Emma. She chose us when we found her on the streets.
After a half year of no one claiming her she found her spot in our home. I am a big dog person and as far as Emma is concerned. She doesn't know she is 16" tall. She thinks she is 16 ft tall.

She has put dogs twice her size in their spot for picking on her for her size. I love her through and through, but I'll always be a big dog person. There is just so much she cannot do that I want my dog to do.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #48 
FishyFishy89

Personally, I despise these "designer breeds". Their no better dogs than those you find in the shelter. I pray the AKC will never recognize them as true breeds.
Why spend over $800 on a mutt that you can get for more than 10x cheaper at the shelter.

Catfish, prepare yourself with a problem riddled puppy. She may likely come with several allergies and possibly some genetic health problems.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #49 
teeneythebetta

Places like that make me sick.
I remember when I was very young, up north we had a pet land store in our mall, puppy mill central.

Good for you for not buying anything. Even if it means you give them $5 less, that's $5 that will not contribute to mass unhealthy breeding of puppies.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #50 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Personally, I despise these "designer breeds". Their no better dogs than those you find in the shelter. I pray the AKC will never recognize them as true breeds.
Why spend over $800 on a mutt that you can get for more than 10x cheaper at the shelter.

Catfish, prepare yourself with a problem riddled puppy. She may likely come with several allergies and possibly some genetic health problems.
Uh oh! That doesn't sound good at all! I'll tell my parents about that...