Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Huge Emergency!

Okay so me and my mom took a long drive to the pet store and we bought 3 neon tetras and we also bought "Tetra Water Wonders" Aquarium that is 3 gallons, we bought 2 packs of purple gravel, some decoration plants. It took us about maybe 3 - 4 hours to get home and then when we did it took me so long to set up the tank I rinsed the gravel, put it in, didn't rinse the plants put them in. Then I added the filter that came with it, the suction cups came off the filter my mom was able to push them back in, then I put the tetras bags in, then I scooped up my Betta fish and put him in the tank, then I allowed the bag to float the tank ALSO has a light. I just put my fish in there, he was going crazy and dashing through the plants I thought he was just curious and then the neons were swirling around and starting to go upside down I didn't know it was from stress or because they been in the bag for hours and had no air, I ripped the bag opened and then letted them float one minute later they died! I removed my Betta quick as I could and put him in the 1/2 divided gallon tank he is now staying at the top and not moving!

Please help!!! And I think my mom is going to go buy me more Neons tomorrow, I do not have a heater but the water was hot I still need to get a heater & thermonter the whole thing was $120+ dollars, what can I do? And how to NOT make this problem occur next time, and will my betta make it through? I moved my tank in a dark room with the lights closed to calm him down please help, I don't know if he is so stressed he's going to die I have Aquarium salt, I added Nutrafin Aqua plus in the tank, Nutrafin Waste control, Nutrafin cycle. Should I reclean the tank and start over? Please help, I am scared my betta is going to die like the tetras :( I am shaking a lot :O
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

That's strange...
Did you add conditioner to the water?
---
I guess you do!
I think you added a lot of chemicals to the water... it just needs the conditioner. If you're going to cycle, it's better to do it without fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

That's sad... That tank is too small for Tetras BTW. They need a 10 gallon tank. Did you acclimate the Tetras to the new water? I mean like putting the tank water into the bag? It's not just the temperature. Sorry you had to go through this. :'(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 
Link592

Yes I did..
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #5 
Link592

Yeah I know, the tank is actually a pretty big cube, the guy at the Pet Store said "The betta will kill them" I had to argue with him and say "No they don't" and he didn't really listen. A girl said 3 will be fine with one betta.

Now I think my betta is dying :( Not sure...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 
Link592

Well because my mom bought me the tank & tetras today, it took us about 3-4 hours to get home. Then took an hour + to set up the tank, then my mom fixed & put the suction cups back into the filter. Then I put my betta in the tank but before I did that I added 5mL of Aqua Plus, 5ML of Waste control 5ML of Cylce then he swam around then I tried my best to scoop him up [Not sure if I hurt him or not] and then I put him in the 3 gallon, he was swimming very fast going in the tanks, going behind the filter but like a curious way. Then I let the Neon tetras float for 3 - 5 minutes then I started noticing they were swirling around and going upside down I ripped and tried my best to ge the the bag opened, one died and I had to flush him down the toilet :( The other two were upside down and a bit alive, after they were fully dead I flushed them down the toilet :(

After I noticed they were dying, I quickly grabbed the small green net and put my betta in his 1/2 gallon and then he was on the top just sitting there, he is still alive though but staying at the top D: So I moved him to a dark room with my half moon hoping he'll get better, I don't know if it was stress :(

Should I reclean the tank? What should I do, and if I get tetras again what should I do then? And I don't have a heater, just a light and the water was hot, not super hot though
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #7 
Link592

Last thing I like to mention, I left the bag shut for the tetras, I just let them float ;l
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #8 
Link592

I think my Betta fish hates me now because I may of stressed him out? Not sure, but I think he doesn't like me anymore..
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #9 
PaintedOaksOki

As for the tetras, the drive may be what's bothering them, well the second time atleast, either that or the batch of tetras at the store is ill or diseased. Your betta may just be stressed out, try give him sometime, and instead of moving him from different tanks, keep him in one for a while and let him settle down.
(I am no expert, so I may be wrong, I can not say that I know everything there is to know about fish! But I know driving with fish isn't the greatest idea.)
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link592 View Post
A girl said 3 will be fine with one betta.
^ Never listen to employees. In fact, Tetras need to be in groups more than 6 since they'll be aggressive to each other. Your tank is TOO SMALL. All you can fit in there is just the Betta. You may add some shrimp but that's it. You can only add in more fish in a 10 gallon. You didn't quarantine either did you? Sorry if I sound rude, it's just that I don't want fish to suffer because of mistakes.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote