Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #11 
Link592

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
^ Never listen to employees. In fact, Tetras need to be in groups more than 6 since they'll be aggressive to each other. Your tank is TOO SMALL. All you can fit in there is just the Betta. You may add some shrimp but that's it. You can only add in more fish in a 10 gallon. You didn't quarantine either did you? Sorry if I sound rude, it's just that I don't want fish to suffer because of mistakes.
I know, all he was saying was wrong I wanted a group of 6 but I new it'll be to small for them, and my mom thought he knew what he was talking about. I hate when fish suffers, I didn't quarantine it was a new tank, still new to fish owning only my mom was really good at fish keeping but she wasn't here for a bit and when she did come back she was in her room doing buisness calls.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #12 
PaintedOaksOki

^What Lebron said xD
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #13 
PaintedOaksOki

Pet store employees SHOULD know what they are talking about if they work there, but unfortunately most have little to no knowledge on fish, and other animals, and will tell you old wives tales.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

swirly... darty... did you miss the water conditioner?
Or does you water conditioner elimintate both chlorine and chloramine?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #15 
Rigio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
That's strange...
Did you add conditioner to the water?
---
I guess you do!
I think you added a lot of chemicals to the water... it just needs the conditioner. If you're going to cycle, it's better to do it without fish.
He added Nutrafin aqua plus, this is a water conditioner.

'removes chlorine and chloramine
neutralizes heavy metals'

I have the same product

Last edited by Rigio; 08-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #16 
Jully

The tank was 3g, I know that tank since my cousin had one of those. Usually that tank comes with water conditioner with the right amount, put that much in it could be possible you put to much Nutrafin Aqua Plus in. Most people when they get new tanks they rush and do not allow the tank to cycle, stress the fish out or make mistakes. Did you have a light on when introducing the new fish, did you open the bag a bit so the fish can have oxygen and the new water is let in so it doesn't shock them.

Be careful, and Neons need a heater and Neon can shock easily, my mom use to have a fish tank with these cat fish type of sharks and neons and a lot of other fish and they lived so long since I was little and they died last year since our marble tile cracked and the tank dropped.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #17 
klslone

I am kind of new to this forum but I have kept a betta for a while now and from my experience if you touch the water and think that it is hot then it is too hot for the fish. Do you have a thermometer for the tank? If not, I would suggest getting one because I know that 78-80 degrees (which is usually what a betta needs) sounds really warm but when you touch it, it actually feels cool.

As humans we have a body temperature of 98.6 degrees so if the water temperature is at 80 degrees it may feel cool to us. However, if the water feels warm to us then it may actually be hotter than what we expected. When the water feels slightly cool (not cold) just a little cooler than room temperature it is usually comfortable for the betta.

Another thing that leads me to believe the water was too hot was how fast you said he was swimming. If the water is too hot, the fish may swim very fast and if it is too cold they will sometimes slow down or not swim very much at all.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote