Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

is my cycle done?confirmation.advice?

these are my results as of this afternoon.this morning all but nitrite was at 0.nitrite earlier this morning was 0.25.and when i checked about 30 minutes ago or so.i got 0 on ammonia,nitrate,nitrite...i have live plants in there.but not much...red ludwigia,,,fish in cycle using rosy red minnows.

am i safe to add my male betta in with rosy reds tomorrow or should i wait a little longer?for about 3 days i only had nitrite readings.until now.
Attached Images

prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've come to know you as a cautious person, Nate. I think you would feel better doing daily tests for three or four days, just for assurance and peace of mind.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #3 
prodrumernate

hello Hallyx.been a while :) yes you are right.i am fairly cautious.ive always been like that.but especially now that i lost 5 girls.i want to make sure everything is done properly before putting my male into the tank :) and i heard some say u can do it rite when all the parameters are right.others say wait a couple day and keep testing to verify ammonia and nitrite are constant 0.just wanted to be safe than sorry..

thank you for replying.ive noticed when i post here i either dont get a reply or just get 1 reply :)which is ok.a quick confirmation or second opinion is what im after.and u confirmed what i thought i should do ;)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 
JBosley

I won't add a fish until the cycle has been complete, and everything is perfect for a week Haha Im a touch on the paranoid side as well! So I would test daily, or every other day, for a week, and then add the fish
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

i too am a little paranoid myself.i just checked the parameters.

ammonia-0
nitrate-0
nitrite-0

everything is standing strong.i feel pretty confident about it.my dad use to be a manager at a pet store and his specialty was fish.he said its done cycling and is safe to add my male betta.i want to give it a little longer.ive added extra food on and off and ammonia wont rise.which is good.i now need to figure out some way to slow the flow of my filter for the betta.i have a floating fake plant thats in its way..but i might try creating a baffle.to redirect the flow.

my male is in a 1 gallon hospital tank and i really want to get him out of there.not only that i have a female in a hospital bowl.less than a gallon.her fins are a little brown.and ive been changing her water more.she is now a happy betta.so i want to move her to the 1 gallon and start her 20 gallon hex cycle and get her out as well.

the reason im posting so much about the cycle ;) some1 else ive been posting on here finished their cycle less than a day before i did.they will add fish tomorrow.

im pretty confident about my cycle.im pretty anxious to put him in now and get started on the 20 gallon.and get them all in a betta tank.time sometimes just goes by too slowly ;)

thank you both for the replies.id rather be safe than sorry so ill take yalls advice and wait just a little longer..
Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #6 
starrlamia

you should have a nitrate reading in there, how long has it been cycling and what did you use to add ammonia?

I would never add fish until readings are stable for a few days 0 ammonia and nitrites and a reading of nitrate.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 
prodrumernate

i started the first week of july.got my first readings july 6th.

i have live plants in there...i did a fish in cycle..using rosy red minnows(fathead minnows)

ammonia has been at 0 for over a week.

nitrates never got above 20 and r now at 0 and have been for 2 days.and was at 10ppm for about a week prior to the drop the other day.

i also have 2 filters in there.a HOB quite flow 10 and a DIY moving bed filter made out of a 17 ounce water bottle,and some drinking straws as media.i have it connected to a dual port air pump.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 
starrlamia

you should have constant nitrate readings though, with or without plants. How big is the tank?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

i know the plants absorb nitrate.some1 else had mentioned in another post that its y my nitrate is so low..its not exactly 0 but not 5.it doent have a reading between 0 and 5 on my API master test kit.but i just put 0 anyways.

its a 10 gallon
Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #10 
starrlamia

Ideally because the plants use nitrates you do want a reading to ensure they get what they need. Are you dosing ferts?