Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

bettas and radiation?

about a month ago, my fiance and i bought her mother a 2.5 gal tank and a BEAUTIFUL halfmoon betta for her birthday. we set everything up, made sure he had everything just the way he'd need it, and he died mysteriously two days later. we returned him to the LPS and got her a new betta from a different store (a GORGEOUS delta tail) and this one died a few days later as well. we've been all over that tank and there's nothing wrong with it, and the ADF we got her as a betta companion is doing just fine. my fiance's stepdad underwent some pretty intense radiation treatment a day before we got her the tank, and although he he made sure to keep his distance from it, i was wondering whether the radiation could have caused the fish to die. the only other problem we thought was that the food she had was the kind of pellets that fluff up in water so they float longer, and i was worried the fish might have been choking on the overinflated pellets. we really want to find her a new fish to go in there (Molly, the frog looks awfully lonely!) but need to figure out what killed the first two before we try again.

i don't have full parameters on the tank, but it's 2.5 gallons with aeration and an under gravel filter, and it's by her front door which is almost always open except for the glass pane door, so it's heated naturally. the pellets in question are TetraBetta Plus Floating Mini Pellets (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lmdn=Fish+Food) and my fiance's stepdad is no longer radioactive.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Well that certainly seems out there, but I would imagine that if all the given variables are safe for the bettas there COULD be something to your theory! However, I wonder how much radiation would have to be transferred to cause death... one of my tanks is next to my microwave, which gives off small amounts of radiation, and hasn't seemed to have effected my fish in the slightest... Have you made sure there isn't something going on with your electrical components, or maybe there was something funky that got in the tank and contaminated any of the things? Maybe try sterilizing everything and replacing the filter media?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

I'm fairly sure there is a thread on this site somewhere about ADF care and ADF's with bettas. I know they can live together, but I'm not positive on everything.
I found the thread for you: www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84033
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 
lelei

Thats something you could check with the Hospital or Doctor that is treating your family member, scary to think of it as a possibility..but Idk..very curious myself.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 
DiiQue

I highly doubt there would be enough radiation to bleed over and kill anything, otherwise the hospital would never have discharged your fiance's stepdad. Check the water parameters first and let us know what you find out.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Thats something you could check with the Hospital or Doctor that is treating your family member, scary to think of it as a possibility..but Idk..very curious myself.
when they sent him home, they told him to stay two feet away from anyone else for a week, i was just worried that him being radioactive enough to harm something as big as a human means he'd be really dangerous to a fish. it's strange that the bettas died but the frog is thriving in there, it's what got me curious about the food, since it disintegrates a bit when it gets to the bottom where she eats it, and wouldn't be a choke hazard.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #7 
acadialover

Hi there,
Did you say there is a frog living in the two gallon tank with the Betta's ?
Could that be the reason ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote