Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #21 
prodrumernate

u can try ordering a kit online.u can find cheaper deals that way though it will take a few days to come in.but the first week or so dont really need to worry about testing i think.i didnt test until like 3 or 4 days later once i knew i would start to have readings.

only way to really cycle without a test kit and assure its cycle is to just give it the normal amount of time it take.i say 5 or 6 weeks and after that it should be fine as long as u dont rush a lot of fish into it.1 fish every couple days basically.

i dont know if its just me or what but i noticed when my tank cycled.it had a different smell.the kinda smell when u go to an aquarium shop and u smell the tank water..though i didnt keep smelling it everyday.i just noticed that smell about the time mine cycled.but wouldnt rely on that at all..

cycling takes time.

i did research online and i read if no tet kit wait about 3 or 4 weeks.mine took almost 4 weeks to cycle.some1 else i know took the same amount of time.giving it 1 more week just to be safe is a good idea.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #22 
Jully

Well she spent over $243 dollars on the tank, decorations, fish since Pet Habitat is very pricey. For a simple rock it was $40 I don't think she will be able to get a test kit until a long time, she still has to buy the heater..

When she bought her 1g tank what happened was it was a small kit, it came with food, a small amount of conditioner, spiked plant, gravel and the tank. She bought the fish and then all she did was fill it with water and then add conditioner and then took the fish out the bag and poured them in and they were happy and living for months now with no filter and heater but, why when she did that they survived but when she put her betta in the fish was freaking out even though there is a filter, gravel, plants and bigger space?
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #23 
Jully

She didn't even cycle her 1g and they came out perfect, isn't that weird? And they survived and it looks like her betta doesn't want to go into the 3g or something was wrong?
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #24 
LebronTheBetta

You don't have to cycle the tank. Did she acclimate? They still need to get used to the new tank.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #25 
prodrumernate

1 gallon is too small to cycle.even a 2.5 gallon is hard to cycle.5 gallon and bigger can easily be cycled.it doesnt have to be.u just have to change the water out a lot.with cycling u dont have to worry about it too often.

the fish just went into shock.it would be like some1 snatching u up,throwing u into a dark van.sent to a new location.and thrown into a house or place ur not familiar with.u might go into panic.

thats somewhat how the fish felt.except they have been transported a little more than that.going from where they are grown.to the pet store.to ur home.and into a new aquarium.

it takes a little while it to adjust as all fish.i just had my female finally start acting like she should be and it took her a little while to get adjusted :)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

Actually, a 1 gallon can cycle. It's just going to be more unstable and such. Live plants will help.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #27 
prodrumernate

yes i know it can be,.i said it was just very hard.even my 2 gallon i wont cycle.i can but wont.id rather just change the water :)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #28 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah. I know it's hard. My 3.5 gallon just started. >.<
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #29 
prodrumernate

MSG is cycling their 1.5 gallon.i did think about doing my 2 gallon.but things are fine and decided to wait.i gotta cycle my 20 gallon hex and get my female out of her bowl..

oh is it safe to add my male betta to my 10 gallon? today is the 4th day its been cycled..ammonia-0
nitrate-5
nitrite-0

ive asked others but no response.maybe ur able to answer :) i plan to add him today anyways.but if some1 objects then ill wait.he is in a 1 gallon.he need out into his new home and my female into the 1 gallon until hers is done cycling
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #30 
LebronTheBetta

It should be. But their should be more nitrates in the water. It should be fine, the Betta is the only one there anyway.

Tags
fish dying?