Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 
NightSongWriter

Sick/Depressed Baby Betta

I've had my baby betta for maybe 2 weeks now and she's started acting really depressed. I'm thinking this is because my Mom got 3 small tetras her size to put in the tank. We took the tetras out and moved them into another tank, but she's still hiding and laying about the bottom of the tank.
NightSongWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 
PaintedOaksOki

Bettas tend to be lethargic if they do not have heated water, also if they don't have much space. Do you clean your tank often enough?
Also if the tetras weren't quarentined before they were with your betta they could've brought home a disease.

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-07-2012 at 12:36 AM.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Can you fill out the stickie? And if you have anything under a 10g, the tetras should definitely not be in there

sticky link here

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #4 
Rigio

Hello, my betta fish, Shark bait was depressed at one point and throughout my research I discovered that its best to move/replace their plants/rocks/decorations every so often to prevent depression/boredom. Changing their surroundings outside the tank apparently works also. I've also read betta fish like to 'people' watch so if possible place them somewhere they can observe people.

This was solved with me by purchasing a 10g fish tank which I've since put fake and real plants 2 large rocks I've angled to make a cavern and a resting perch. Shark bait now swims around actively and what appears to be happy, however slightly ill (unrelated ) - working on solving this.
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #5 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigio View Post
I've also read betta fish like to 'people' watch so if possible place them somewhere they can observe people.
I can short of, confirm this. My own seems to be very interested in our doings every day. Every time someone passes within sight range of the tank he gets to the side with the best view and observes. Also each time i take a nap on the couch near the tank he comes to the side of the couch and he watches me napping. Same when my ma wathces tv on said couch. Though he tends to ignore her for no particular reason.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #6 
Rigio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
I can short of, confirm this. My own seems to be very interested in our doings every day. Every time someone passes within sight range of the tank he gets to the side with the best view and observes. Also each time i take a nap on the couch near the tank he comes to the side of the couch and he watches me napping. Same when my ma wathces tv on said couch. Though he tends to ignore her for no particular reason.
As odd as this sounds I'm of the belief that the betta is more interested in watching their 'owner' or 'caregiver'. This past weekend my girlfriend and I went away to a cottage and we had her sister take care of Shark bait. When we returned she had told us he sat on the bottom of the tank for the majority of the weekend. Literally moments after we were around him he was up and swimming all over and watching me as I was looking at our fish calender.
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, depressed, new addition, sick