Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #11 
mbuchan7

I have been considering getting a larger tank for her, and that sounds perfect. It would be worth it to try and make room on my desk for it.

I am using water conditioning tablets, but I am going to pick up some regular stuff today so that I can do smaller water changes without wasting a tablet every time I cycle. Should I get the regular de-chlorinating conditioner or the priming conditioner (I heard it gets rid of ammonia)?
mbuchan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #12 
Laki

The tabs seem like a waste in a small tank. Get liquid. A lot of people use Prime stress coat. I use topfin dechlorinator. If you get a larger bottle it will last you longer doing the small changes. I keep two 2-3gallon tanks (just set up a divided 5 g last night) and was doing 2 changes a week on both tanks. I bought the 16oz bottle which cost like 12$ but it's lasted me months. You only need a few drops each time.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would get some Prime everyone says how good it is and last a long time, I am getting some in the mail today excited to get it. I have been using Aqueon Water Conditioner its another good one and only two drops per gallon and detoxifes the ammonia which Prime does too but also nitrite and nitrate and since I am cycling my tank I wanted to change to Prime.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #14 
MSG

I have a WHOLE can too, you don't have to switch to a brand new food ASAP, but you can feed it to your other fish. I do that with betta foods I don't like.

Wheat Flour is the 1st ingredient. But that's why it floats so well.

TetraBetta Plus = wheat flour #1
TetraBetta = wheat flour #1
TetraMin Tropical Granules = 3 types of pellets, fish meal is the 1st ingredient, rest are starches, soy, potato, rice, corn etc..

Some people have fed their bettas this food and they've lived 2-3 years.

Stick with the food you have for now.

Routine water change schedule is what you should develop first.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #15 
Laki

I have the tetramin crumbles. They bloated my CoT but they will eat them no problem. I find variety is key. Along side the tetra food pick up a better quality food and feed interchangeably. I have 4 types of pellets and frozen bloodworms. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote