Betta Fish Forum banner

Fishie's 5 gallon!

647 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
I put Fishie in his 5 gallon tank last night. I didn't cycle it... I'll just do the regular 50% water changes until it gets established, at which point I will have to do them less often. I've had the plants in it for over a week, I think. The grass has been getting squishy and falling apart, which I couldn't figure out.
But anyway, I put Fishie in last night and he loves it. He was swimming all over the place, exploring his new tank, all the plants... he likes swimming through the grass, and those other plants I have on the right side (forgot what they are). He also doesn't mind the filter. It's the one that came with the tank and it does create a current near the top of the water. He kind of shoots through it and lets it carry him a little ways until he moves away from the current.
Anyway, I took this photo with Instagram on my camera and uploaded it to Tumblr and also said something about the grass doing something weird. Someone commented that it's Mondo Grass and that one on the back is Peacock fern and neither one are aquatic plants! :shock: Why does Petco sell them as aquatic plants if they're not?! No wonder they've been falling apart. So I took both plants out altogether and will get a different kind of long grass soon- one that's actually an aquatic plant!

#2 ·
Looking great! PetCo is really bad about their plants. They'll have on their label "for Aquariums and Terrariums" which is just calling for people to buy them and put them in water...

A great substitute for the mondo grass is dwarf sag. It'll grow great in there! The only thing that you might have to do would be to get root tabs for them.

Any who, great looking tank and that betta of yours is a looker!

#5 ·
pinkcupid- Thanks! I like your tank, too! What type of light bulb do you have in it?

lelei- I got the log at a LFS. I got it on Saturday and put it in his 1 gallon tank while he was in it and then moved it to his 5 gallon with him, and he still hasn't gone inside it at all! Unless he does when I'm not around.

#7 ·
Yeah, I think someone advised me to get compact fluorescent because most plants won't grow well with incandescent. I like the way the fluorescent lighting in your tank looks more than mine. The incandescent in mine looks kind of dim and doesn't bring out Fishie's coloring very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.