Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #11 
kfryman

What are the list of plants? And can you show a picture? It will help to show us if the plants are just melting from different water conditions or something else.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #12 
Sundancex

I'll try to upload some pics now. I have a water test kit on the way but don't have one currently so no test results as of now...
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #13 
Sundancex

(the white stuff you see around the leaves is actually there, not just a camera effect or whatever)...the white oval things are silicone from the stupid styrofoam bg that popped out though

Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #14 
MSG

That white stuff is not good you should rinse those plants off.

Just a guess from the photos, you're not RUNNING any type of filter at all on your EBI?

That water in the tank looks stagnant. Also you need something, to circulate/move the water or those plants you have will just sit & rot.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #15 
kfryman

Run a filter to help clear the tank up a bit, a small filter like the Palm Filter is fine unless you plan on other things then just a betta. But definitely get some water flow in there.

I had that white stuff before, i just rinsed it off or rubbed it off. The aquarium will soon have a bacteria that eats it in my case as it never came back.

Do more frequent water changes, you want the brown to slowly disappear. You could also run carbon for the first week or so then get rid of it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #16 
Sundancex

Ok, I'll put a filter in it when I get home tonight. Right now all I have is the stock filter that the Ebi came with, not sure how good or bad it is. I heard that plants take care of the filtration so I didn't think I needed any. Some of the plants have gone gooey and soft. Like I touch a leaf and it breaks off. So I removed all the "bad" stuff.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #17 
kfryman

Plants will only take care of the filtration if you have tons of them and they are actively growing, if they aren't growing they aren't doing anything.

The filter it cones wig I have heard it was noisy, but you could always use it. On initial setup you at least want a filter. After that you can remove it as long as you test and make sure you have all 0s.

Yeah your plants are probably adjusting and melting their leaves as the leaves are meant for a different light intensity and different water. Some can take a few days to bounce back and some can take weeks. Crypts usually take a bit longer if they don't have good roots. The better the roots the more likely it will bounce back fast.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #18 
Sundancex

Ok thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

I'm not concerned about noise, I can sleep through anything (it's in my bedroom) so for now at least it will be fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #19 
Sundancex

Exclamation Update

I ended up replanting the tank. I didn't like the look, I felt like some of the plants weren't planted right, and my dwarf lily was in the spot where I wanted my filter. So I removed the plants, trimmed the dead stuff off, and replanted. I have the filter running now. I think my plants are starting to adjust. The dwarf lily looks good I "think" as does my cabomba. In a few days I guess I will know if things are adjusting better, or if I'm going to have to remove plants. I hope my dwarf lily makes it, it is a very pretty plant. Once/if these plants get settled I'm going to get a few amazon swords to plant at the very back of my tank.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #20 
kfryman

Careful with amazon swords in a tank with good substrate. In a few years it can outgrow a 100 gallon tank, they can get huge. I guess you can always trim leaves off or rid it.

Update pictures?