Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
labloverl

I want more but...

I would love more betta fish. I already have 2 in a divided 10 gallon. I like the 10 gallon because I only have to do 1 water change a week. If I got more fish, I would have to have smaller tanks, and that means frequent water changes, right? Is a 1 gallon tank too small? How many water changes for a 5 gallon tank?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Bettas are addictive, aren't they? XD I'm gonna get as much as I can when I move into a new house. :P Can't wait!!!

A 1 gallon is fine for the long finned males. You just have to do 1 100% and 1 50% per week. For the 5 gallon unfiltered, 2 50%'s every other week, and then a 100% change the other 2 weeks is sufficient.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

Like lebron said, 1 gallons are fine, as long as you keep up with water changes, but I have noticed that my bettas tend to be MUCH for active and happy and show more of their character in the 5gallon tanks that I have for them. I personally dont like keeping them in that small of a tak (unless they are being treated of course) but you CAN and it's just personal preference. On my filtered (cycled) 5 gallons, I only have to do one water change a week (not even that much! I haven't done one in two weeks because I was away for a while, but all the parameters are great...but it's also pretty well planted...)

Bettas are so addictive aren't they?! I'm warning you: there is no way out. You are trapped forever!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Betta are addictive. I told myself I would stop at 2. I've currently got 5. You're not alone in this.

I know many people like the compactness of small containers, but I think they are more work than they are worth what with double the water changes and all. I keep four boys in divided tanks and another in a community-to-be tank. Here's a helpful (well depends on your view!) hint about keeping multiple bettas: stack the tanks. I found a double-decker aquarium stand on DrsFosterandSmith.com for a very reasonable price. You can also use industrial strength shelving, but the stand look prettier. When you run out of room, go up!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 
weaver72

I have 6 bettas Myself,5 males 1 female and I am baby sitting one for a friend while he is in the hospital!If i had a bigger condo I would have a room dedicated to bettas
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Yeah so I just bought my 11th. And 10 gallons are my best friend. I have 1 divided in 4 and my fish are perfectly fine. 5 gallons are great to and if you can cycle it would also take only 1 water change a week. I have another 10g that I plan on dividing to.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 
labloverl

Yes, they are very addictive! Now that I know how to keep them properly, I just want more and more! Water changes are not my favorite thing, so that's why I don't want the smaller tanks.

I could divide my 10 gallon 4 ways but I would hate that my original betta would be downgraded from 10 gallons to 2.5. But this way, would I have to change my maintenance schedule any? There are no live plants (I'm not ready for those yet) but I could get some moss balls.

I do have a 5 gallon that I could set up, but I would want to cycle it. How much water would I change a week?

And yes, I would have to stack them!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote