Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #1 
nel3

is this appearance in DTs nromal?

i feed my DTHM 3-4 pellets a day though lately ive only given and average of 2-3 pellets a day if i dnot feed then immediately when i come home. the fish ahd no swimming issues nor any sort of lazyness. i know DT ca be prone to bloating due to the short body. this was after i fed him 2 pellets but the bulge is only 80% of this lately. his body is only an inch long. is such bloaty look normal given the short bodies of DTs? my DT has a longer body and no such bloating issues but the DTHM has the shortest body of all my 5 fish.

the pic is a day old and i havent yet fed him anything since then.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
Myates

Go ahead and continue fasting for the next couple of days to see if that helps.. if it doesn't then you can do an Epsom treatment.. the usual, but would start on 2tsp per gallon, daily 100% water changes, etc (you've been around, I'm sure you know how the treatment goes).
What brand are the pellets?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
Pilot00

I would start the treatment with the salt just to be on the safe side. I dont think that swelling is from overfeeding despite his small body.

BTW the colouring on this betta is fantastic!
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #4 
nel3

thank you very much. atm he's in the 5g divided but i have a 1g for QT reasons. i'll go with the ES treatment for atleast 4 days when i get back home today. im feeding wardly pellets to the DT. i do have frozen BWs and brine shrimp to feed the fish.

he was one of the few coppers i saw on the shelves. hes' a bit darker than expected but does shine nicely in the right light conditions. his natural tail integrity doesnt seem to be the same as the other fish i have but its never gotten out of hand.

Last edited by nel3; 08-07-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 
Pilot00

If you are talking about the rugged/torn edges he has on his fins (or thats what i understood anyway ) its pretty natural(assuming he had for ever).

My VT fins are exactly like yours in shape.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 
Shadyr

Very pretty colors, but he looks like he has a bent spine. Hopefully it's just the bloat messing him up, but it looks...out of whack.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
nel3

my DT both have bent spines, the DT isnt that bad 1.5 inch body (other side not too noticeable) but the DTHM has it the worst. though it doesnt impede his movements in anyway. he's had that bent spine since i got him.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #8 
nel3

its the second day of the ES and he's just bummed out. i offered BW but he didnt take it. cant say im suprised, though i think it'll help him clear it out if anything. the DTHM rarely has even been outside of the 5g tank aside from 2 sepearate weeks for AQ salt treatment.
i fasted my pineapple CT for 2 weeks when he just had a normal bloaty look. he took some time to recover. the DTHM tails did get damaged minutes into the 1tsp ES water. burnt his tail even though i had mixed the water well before.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #9 
nel3

an unofortunate event has occurred. my DTHM has passed away sometime last night. still in a bit of shock from it, i wasnt expecting him to be the first one to go belly down.

i had him in .5tsp ES. i started with 1tsp of ES but that burned his fins a bit, an immediate 50% wc was done and he was put in half a tsp ES. he was shocked upon being introduced ES in his WC glass and was uninterested in anything that usually did interest him. he had no funny issues in normal water with such an appearance, not too sure if i happened to kill him inadvertently or mis diagnosed hispredicament. he did have a raised scale behind the head when he was alive.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #10 
Shadyr

Sorry to hear that You did your best for him, and that surely counts for something.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote