Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #11 
nel3

thanks, it seems that the 1st time isnt that harsh to me personally. i did very much enjoy his presense. while i had him alive though i didnt get as attached to a fish as much as a dog or cat which which would follow one around or go outside but he was an easy fish and gave very few health problems ie 2 finrot cases. i'll probably put him in my blue leaf (no new blue leafs anymore) poinsettia. that plants 1 year old and still going or the succulent type plant that i have.

i'll wait a month or so until the next betta a PK to restock the 5g left side. i'll need to find a PK locally first.

it kind of makes me wonder if ES salt was the right descision but it could've still happened and been a bit more complicated ie dies in 5g cycled with a VT, nerite and plants. ive let the 1g rest for 5 minutes in vinegar solution and 10 minutes with somebleach solution. hopefully its safe. i'll repeat the treatment a second time later on.

Last edited by nel3; 08-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #12 
Myates

Sorry you lost him...

ES is very gentle on bettas and they can live in it indefinitely. I believe it's not even possible to burn their fins with ES to be honest.. it may of been possible if you poured it on top of him without gradual introduction.

Other then that, I'm sorry you lost him :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #13 
nel3

i have bad luck with any salt and fins ES or AQ. the fins seem to become fragile and tear without any force if i go with recommended amounts. i do have no issue with half a tsp treatment. i had the salt mixed in before introducing the fish and stired it around until it was all dissolved. every time i did 1 tsp from the start it damanged the fins. i knew that i'd lose some of my betta eventually though its always a surprise when it does happen.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #14 
Myates

How are you moving the bettas? With a net or the cup? I'm not saying it's not happening, just trying to understand. I know you know your bettas.. just odd it happens to you. But, there is a first time for everything when hearing such things.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #15 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
How are you moving the bettas? With a net or the cup? I'm not saying it's not happening, just trying to understand. I know you know your bettas.. just odd it happens to you. But, there is a first time for everything when hearing such things.
if one is stubborn (rarely) i use the net to limit their escape routes and let them swim into the cup. removing the dead fish was the only time the net was 100 supporting the bodies. i got the net as part of the 5g kit but used 100% glass cups (230ML capacity) for the temporary WC betta home. i read that nets tore fins so i avoided them.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #16 
Myates

I don't know what is happening then.. I don't know why you are having such bad luck with the ES.

Either way, the whole thing just sucks :(
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #17 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I don't know what is happening then.. I don't know why you are having such bad luck with the ES.

Either way, the whole thing just sucks :(
its not just limited to ES but also AQ. it hasnt harmed them but mine seem equally sensitive to AQ salt. i can safely use half a TSP AQ also to start, doesnt seem to go after the fins in that concentration.

i'll have to give my Peperomia plant a name now. i'll bury Osiris in that plant pot.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

so sorry for your loss!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #19 
CandiceMM

Sorry to hear about your loss, we all have been there and it never get easier. My condolences.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #20 
nel3

thank you every one. ive planted/buried the betta in the 6 inch pot holding my Peperomia plant. the plant is relatively slow growing but its consistent and easy to take care of.