Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 
Jessie1990

My Divided, NPT

I have actually had this tank running for about two months with NO problems and very pleasing results! It is by far my favorite tank. I will try to post some pics later of it currently. The Amazon swords really shot up on the left side of the divider. No idea why they are more successful on one side, unless it is because there is very little current. Anyway, here are some old pics:

Whole tank shot after setup:

Leviathan's side (with some growth):

More to come soon!
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Very nice...what all plants do you have in the tank ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #3 
Jessie1990

Well, I started out with 3 amazon swords, 2 of these stem plants labeled as "Water Primrose" at the petco about an hour away, one java fern, and one plant that I have no idea what it is. It came out of the tubed plants from petco.

Anyway, the stem plants SHOT UP in about a week and have not stopped so I experimented with cutting and replanting the stems. I noticed roots coming out of some of the root segments so I would just cut right below those. It has worked very nicely, though the original plants become very "stemmy" because the leaves start to die on the lower portion of the plant if I don't cut them fast enough. I removed one from the tank because of this. But now I have around 10 more stems than I started with around the tank.

One of my swords had skinny stems with "baby swords" growing off it so I let them grow awhile and then picked them off and replanted those. So, now I have 7 swords total.

My Java fern is not doing very well but i'm being patient.

Oh and I have a random onion thing :D

Sorry for the horrible use of plant language... I just started this hobby lol
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #4 
Jessie1990

This is my tank today!

I have noticed that my fish in this tank seem more active and curious. The tank is always changing, along with the other benefits that planted tanks provide. Also, the two bettas in this tank are not highly aggressive towards one another so I never felt the need to do a double wall divider. I know they see each other because Roku has a bit better eyesight than Levi, and always spots me first. So when Roku darts over for food, Levi quickly follows. Sometimes they follow each other along the barrier. This is why this tank is my favorite. I feel that it provides the most entertainment for both the fish and myself :P
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 
BettaQi

Which substrate are you using please, and with what did you cap?

Am so excited to see your success! Congrats?
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #6 
Jessie1990

I used organic miracle grow soil from office depot, which I was a bit nervous about and capped it with white sand from petco. A lot of people use play sand. If you do use sand be sure to aerate the substrate somehow. I have read that Malaysian trumpet snails are great for this, but I can't find any and work Wierd hours so I can't ship them. I just poke the substrate with a chopstick for now.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 
laoshun

your new setup is more appealing.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #8 
Jessie1990

Yea. I have a sword in that back left corner that I'm waiting to grow. The other bundle of stems was there but they became super leggy so I pulled them up. I like the rocks a lot. I still want a background though
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank and plants look great.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

:O pretty
How's the growth been on the plants?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote