Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #11 
Kelly0727

If I used store bought water (jugs I mean) would that help the hardness? Also what would the ph lvl need to be around for the fry? I will try again but I'm going to hopefully get some duckweed to add to the tank as well just in case since I heard fry love that.

The little fry went back to sticking to the side of the cup again, but regardless he's hanging in there. I have bbs ready for when its time for his first meal, but it's kind of hard to know what that will be. He does still have a white tummy though so I'm not going to push it right now.

Also thanks so much everyone, I am feeling a bit better now. I guess my boyfriend is right, I do get attached to quickly, but that is something that will probably never change.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #12 
Creat

The pH should be near 7 but mine is 7.6 the idea is to moniter it and keep it stable my water is super hard but sense mine arent crowntails I dont worry as long as its stable. I use jugs when my water is off sense you only have one you could and just change it slowly with few fry the biggeat worry is over feeding.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #13 
Kelly0727

I'll check the ph and see if thats what it was. I didnt think the water would have been a problem since most videos I've seen about breeding bettas would put them in the same day they cleaned it.. how do you keep the ph leveled with all the water changes?

As for the little fry I hesitate on feeding him because he isnt exactly swimming 24/7 he will for a short amount of time and then go back to either sinking or hanging on the side. So I'm not sure thats considered free swimming..
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #14 
Creat

How old is he? And just check it before you add it, also buffering capacity. A little water with a pH of 8 with a high buffering capacity can change a lot of water with a pH of 7 with a lower capacity suddenly to 8. Changes like that can kill fry fast.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #15 
Pilot00

Keep it up Kelly and dont get upset, everyone has lost fry for no apparent reason, my first spawn were guppies and mollies and i lost them too for no apparent reason!

Its a sad fact that sometimes happens.

That little fella that survived though must be something special, keep it up for him/her!
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with everyone - it must have been the water. pH should range between 6-8. 7 is best. Mine are usually around 8. Not sure how to measure hardness though. But I know tap water should be adequate.

That happens to my spawns too if I use a newly cleaned tank with new water. So I age everything for about 4 weeks. Since my tanks are out side, I usually have a self sustaining tank for the first week or so. But I still feed them anyway. You could age yours for about 2 weeks with plants. Hopefully you will have infusoria to feed the fry for the first few days.... but feed them anyway.

Don't be too hard on yourself - it's a learning experience. You need to find what best works for you. I'm sure you will have lots of fry next time.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #17 
Kelly0727

He is only around a day old. I know it was risky putting him in different water but since the water they were in killed all the other fry I wasnt sure what else to do.

I'll check on him again in a couple minutes, if hes doing ok I'll let the bbs settle and harvest some for him. At least since hes in a cup it will be easy to suck it out if he doesnt eat them.

I will get some extra buckets ready filled with water to leave out for a couple weeks and see if that will help for the next time.

Last edited by Kelly0727; 08-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Keep it in a bowl (a bit more space to shoo it when you suck out wastes/leftovers).

1 day old .... from hatch or free swimming? You don't need to feed it before it's free swimming.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #19 
Kelly0727

1 day old from hatching. I just checked on him and did a ph test. He is still hanging on the edge of the cup but alive so im happy about that!

The ph ended up at 8.0 I saw some gunk one the other side of the tank from the nest and was wondering, did that come from the IAL? No way could grizzle himself make that much mess, and it wasn't there when I took bubbles out. Also wondering if maybe that took part in losing the fry..
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #20 
PitGurl

Sorry about your spawn. Glad you have one hanging in there. I only have 5 from the spawn I did back in may so don't feel bad.

Do not feed yet, it's to early. If it still has a white belly then it's feeding of it's yolk sac. Free swimming is when the fry can swim horizontal which normally is around 2 1/2 to 3 days.

Good luck I hope he/she makes it .
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote