Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #11 
lvandert

lol opps not you Mo, the original poster...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

It will NOT work. They will either end up dead or mating within two weeks. Unless your tanks is HUGE and planted... it will NOT work.

To other members who have had some success... this is not an idea to be pushing. Just because you've done it, does not mean anyone else should do it. Bettas do NOT want any fish in their space.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #13 
Hunter12396

let me restate this i want to keep several femals in a main tank and one male in a divider
as for the bunny guy i have a male and a female who is in a divider
Hunter12396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

That could work. Just make sure the male/females can't get into each other's sections.

I keep my females in divided tanks with males. Never had an issue with egg-binding. If it was true bettas got egg-bound as much as people on this forum think, all of my wild bettas would be dead by now as they are in constant contact with each other.

I find my males enjoy the interaction with females. Males in with males tend to stress each other out, whereas when males are kept alongside females it is less territorial/aggressive and more dominant/display.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #15 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
It will NOT work. They will either end up dead or mating within two weeks. Unless your tanks is HUGE and planted... it will NOT work.

To other members who have had some success... this is not an idea to be pushing. Just because you've done it, does not mean anyone else should do it. Bettas do NOT want any fish in their space.
... to re-instate what was already said...

no that will not work. Unless you have a 55 gallon tank and you change a good chunk of the water out every week please do not do it. Please for the good of your fish keep males and females in separate tanks
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I think the OP means keep the females in a tank but have a section divided off for the male to live in so he is in the same tank but not with the females.

Quote:
let me restate this i want to keep several femals in a main tank and one male in a divider
as for the bunny guy i have a male and a female who is in a divider
At least this is what I took the above to mean?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #17 
lvandert

If they share the same water then its still a no-no...

Unless they have sealed off the divided section I would stick to keeping them in separate tanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

How is it a no-no? I have always kept males/females in divided tanks together because I like how they interact and never had an issue with it. Aside from a female getting in with my male every now and then and me having to chase them back out.

I have wild bettas. They produce the same hormones and in between rearing their fry they sometimes will not spawn for several months. I would have thought these fish would be adversely affected by being together and not spawning and yet I have never had one case of egg-binding. I have three pairs in one tank and only one pair spawns and there has never been an issue.

I usually have a male or two hanging in my sorority in a breeders' net and sure the females get a little bit more eggy but after a while I notice they are less inclined to do so.

I am just curious as everyone on this site always seems to be against housing males/females in divided tanks. I think it is probably less stressful than male/male being housed together as generally if they get in together they will kill or seriously hurt each other.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #19 
lvandert

I have a 10 divided between 3 boys and they are fine with each other. Having a male and female in tanks cause each to have issues. Males are constantly looking for the girl they smell and trying to ready themselves for breeding. Females smell the male and start producing eggs and getting themselves ready to breed. Girls do burst and get egg bound, I've read it on here a few times now. I also think there are a few "over feeding" bursts hiding the real problem.

I stand by MrV on this one. I do not promote putting them in the same tank. I know there are a FEW that have done it successfully, and I recommend people to go to them if they are set in stone about having them in the same tank. I do know it takes a TON of live plants (to filter some hormones out), a VERY good/strong filter (also to dilute hormones) and a TON of water changes (to once again counter act hormones). It's not something everyone has the time and resources for.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

In a divided tank... maybe. But still you run the risk of them getting through to the other side.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote