Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah that is the only thing I would worry about with a divided tank and a sorority. I think a sorority is more likely to gang up and kill the male if he does get through rather than him attempting to spawn with one of them.

My sorority has killed a really nice HM male when he managed to get in with them. There was a whole group of them chasing him around taking chunks off him.

You just have to make sure you divider is secure (in this instance I would permanently attach it as I have seen too many DIY dividers fall over) and that you leave enough space that is unlikely a female is going to be able to jump and get in with your male. I did have a male who went sideways under my divider and who got mauled by another male so you do have to be so so careful when dividing that nothing can get through.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #22 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
How is it a no-no? I have always kept males/females in divided tanks together because I like how they interact and never had an issue with it. Aside from a female getting in with my male every now and then and me having to chase them back out.
I think the issue is that this shouldn't be encouraged for people generally. I will use an analogy to explain it. Drinking a single glass of wine while pregnant is not a danger to a fetus. However, every bottle of alcohol sold in the U.S. is required to carry a warning for pregnant women, and women are publicly discouraged from drinking at all. Why? Because if we were wishy-washy about it, the people who really need to hear the message wouldn't get it. Apparently, stressing total abstinence from alcohol is the only effective way to get women who binge drink to realize how dangerous alcohol can be to fetuses - the distinction is the quantity, and some people just don't get it. Now, in a HUGE, well-filtered, planted tank and under the eye of an experienced fishkeeper, male/female tankmates will be fine in some cases. This doesn't mean that's what everyone who asks about it should be told, because then you'll get people thinking it's totally cool to get one of those 1 gal. divided tanks and plop a boy and girl into it. It's just not really in the best interests of the fish to let this happen. It's better to just tell everyone to house the fish alone or with the same gender, because then people here won't feel inadvertently responsible for stressing out fish by giving out advice that people misinterpret.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #23 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I think the issue is that this shouldn't be encouraged for people generally. I will use an analogy to explain it. Drinking a single glass of wine while pregnant is not a danger to a fetus. However, every bottle of alcohol sold in the U.S. is required to carry a warning for pregnant women, and women are publicly discouraged from drinking at all. Why? Because if we were wishy-washy about it, the people who really need to hear the message wouldn't get it. Apparently, stressing total abstinence from alcohol is the only effective way to get women who binge drink to realize how dangerous alcohol can be to fetuses - the distinction is the quantity, and some people just don't get it. Now, in a HUGE, well-filtered, planted tank and under the eye of an experienced fishkeeper, male/female tankmates will be fine in some cases. This doesn't mean that's what everyone who asks about it should be told, because then you'll get people thinking it's totally cool to get one of those 1 gal. divided tanks and plop a boy and girl into it. It's just not really in the best interests of the fish to let this happen. It's better to just tell everyone to house the fish alone or with the same gender, because then people here won't feel inadvertently responsible for stressing out fish by giving out advice that people misinterpret.
can...I...hug...you?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #24 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter12396 View Post
i was thinking after my male betta dies i could put 3 or 4 females in her 10 gal
(i know the risks of this and i am very experienced with bettas)but what if i put him in a divider and the females in the main tank(because females show more color around males)?
Not to be rude, but an experienced betta owner should know that even if you divide a tank with a male and female betta, the female will give off pheromones which will stress out BOTH fish IMMENSELY.

And why are you giving up on your betta! Cherish your little guy! Don't like wait for him to die!

Please do your research. thanks and sorry if i was rude..

cheers!

if you would like to start a sorority(very hard to do, and takes ALOT of experience) check out some threads and the sticky

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #25 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter12396 View Post
let me restate this i want to keep several femals in a main tank and one male in a divider
as for the bunny guy i have a male and a female who is in a divider
NO NO NO! That is like asking for unhappy, stressed, and even dead bettas!

You already have a male and female in a divided tank?! Gosh, i really feel bad for those poor bettas! Why would you ever do that if you are "experienced" and know about bettas and pheromones!?!?!?!

Bunny guy? How rude!

.....*shakes head*
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #26 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
can...I...hug...you?

Only if I get to hug the bunny first.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

The pheromones won't stress them out but it will make them want to get to the other side.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #28 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Only if I get to hug the bunny first.
agreed. "Come here Rummy, someone on the internet wants to hug you!"
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #29 
cjconcepcion

im probably a little late to this thread but i have kept a blind male in a heavily planted and decorated 10 gallon tank with 3 girls. i did frequent water changes and didnt have a problem. the girls left him alone, and he couldnt see them. Didnt have this arrangement for a long time though. it was hard to feed him with all the girls going for his food. still hard to feed him now, he cant see an inch in front of his face

EDIT: i dont recommend trying this though. just sharing my experience. keep in mind that the male is blind.
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

Talk about dramatics. I keep my wild bettas together in a tank with males and females all mixed in. Only the dominant pairs of mine spawn, the others just swim around doing various fishy things.

Surely with all the pheromones floating around in those tanks my unmated females should either be stressed, dead or exploding with eggs? None of them are. They are all lean, mean, eating machines.

My male who lives in my sorority has built a total number of zero bubblenests in the entire time he has been in there.

Here is a picture of him floating merrily in his little breeders' net. The females completely ignore him. The only interest he holds for them is during feeding time when he gets fed and they don't.

I have never ever had any issues with egg-binding or stress because my males and females share tanks. I have over 70 odd fish with some very rare and sensitive species of betta, so don't think I am some newbie who knows nothing.

I think that as long as there is no way for the male to get in with the females then there is minimal danger in keeping them together. I think there are worse things on this forum than a male and female sharing the same water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote