Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
babystarz

First Shipment is HERE :)

My first mailed bettas for my new sorority have arrived! I was very worried, having never received live fish in the mail, so I was hovering around my apartment's mail boxes waiting for the mail carrier, waiting to pounce and run upstairs with my new babies

I am now the proud owner of two big, beautiful mustard gas HM females :D Their color started to return almost immediately! I'm giving them some space right now so they can de-stress, but I will have pics soon.

Right now they're very active and taking nice big gulps of air :)

I'm wondering how long I should wait to feed them - do you think they will be hungry by tonight or do they need more time?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats awesome cant wait to see pictures ! I would go ahead and feed them tonight.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
jCo72

That is my favorite coloring for bettas! I would feed them too - if they don't eat, then they don't eat but at least you offered them something :) but I'm no expert...
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Since when I ship bettas, I don't feed them the day before they are shipped, I assume yours will be ready to eat real soon.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
babystarz

Alright I have lots of pics! A few general notes first: I had the chance to run an impromptu "experiment" on these ladies in terms of environment. One is in a 3 gal, the other a 1 gal. Each has a heater, but one is 2 degrees cooler (for the smaller tank). One tank is filtered, the other is not. One has real plants, the other does not. The difference in the fish response was striking. These girls are siblings from the same spawn, bred from an imported Thai pair so they should look almost identical when they're settled in. At the moment, the female in the smaller tank (Female 1) is still significantly duller than the female in the larger tank (Female 2), and she's resting more often. I think this presents very concrete evidence that new fish do much better in warmer tanks that are well stocked with plants and amenities.

These are temporary conditions btw, I would never keep a fish in an unfiltered 1 gal. They're actually emergency tanks to fill in for the quarantine tanks (yeah, Amazon next day shipping? Lies!) I am running to Petco tonight for a better heater, a filter and a larger Kritter Keeper to house Female 1 in when it's ready. Eventually the girls will be in my 14 gallon planted tank with 4 others, but that's 3 weeks away.

ANYWAY, here are the pics. I couldn't convince either of the girls to show off their iridescence or their left sides until the LAST shot I took of Female 1 XD You'll notice that she's not colored up yet, she's become more vibrant even since the pics were taken:

FEMALE 1

FEMALE 2

Sorry for the pic spam, I wanted to take a lot of reference shots because I'm trying to learn more about finnage form. I am hoping that these ladies are high enough quality to breed someday.

Edit: Thanks everyone, I will go ahead and feed tonight :)

Last edited by babystarz; 08-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 
CandiceMM

So so so beautiful!!! You are very lucky!!! I'll Private message you my address lol!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 
lelei

Aww..Congrats on your girls:) Glad they arrived safely..do you have names picked out yet? they are soo cute, I love the faces.. and in the pic of "Female 1" I love that irredescent sparkle she is very pretty.. looks like that pic was taken in natural lighting..and the 2nd one looks darker,...less shiny..but u can see the dark blue..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Aww..Congrats on your girls:) Glad they arrived safely..do you have names picked out yet? they are soo cute, I love the faces.. and in the pic of "Female 1" I love that irredescent sparkle she is very pretty.. looks like that pic was taken in natural lighting..and the 2nd one looks darker,...less shiny..but u can see the dark blue..:)
Yep the pics were taken in very diffuse natural light, I didn't want to turn on my LED light yet so they'd have a chance to rest :P I'm thinking a good name for Female 1 might be Shimmer, because her iridescence really is off the charts! Female 2 is very regal and queen-like in her movements so I think I might name her Gwendolyn

They're still coloring up, every time I look at them I notice it. I can't wait to see what they look like in the next few days :)

I did feed them supper and they were like "OH YES NOMNOM STARVING" so it's a good thing I went ahead and did that. Shimmer even tried chewing on her fern plant.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 
babystarz

Hmph, I got Shimmer into a bigger tank, but the brand new heater I bought isn't working :/ I woke up today and she was still in rest mode, while Gwen is swimming all over the place. I checked the temp, and poor Shimmer's tank is only at 71 degrees - which is where my thermostat is set, meaning the heater is doing nothing. It was one of those flat ones that can go under gravel. I thought it was an upgrade from my other mini heater, but apparently not.

Gwen's tank is a balmy 78 so she's fine.

I'm just a bit irked because I made a special trip for that new heater, and I could have gotten a better one online for less money :/

Thank goodness I ordered the majority of my heaters from Amazon.

Gwen is looking phenomenal today! All that dark in between her scales is indeed a royal blue iridescence coat, it looks magnificent under the LED light :)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #10 
registereduser

I am expecting my first "shipped fish" tomorrow or Friday and I am super excited!

I should be getting 5 or 6 females for my sorority I hope they are all colorful and ALIVE

I'm hoping for a yellow one just like yours!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote