Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #1 
Rerram

I need help with a water change

I have my one betta in a one gallon tank with a heater, but no filter. Everything I am reading says to do a 50% water change every other day or so. How would I do this without shocking the beta? Should I just remove half the water then replace with conditioned water? Should I remove him or the heater to allow the temperatures to equalize? Should I just wait until a week has passed and do a full water change? Please help. Thank you.
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 
lvandert

Here this is a good way. You can leave the fish in the whole time. All he notices is a water level change (not that stressful) Just make sure the water you put in is similar temp and treated
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
Rerram

How do I get the water I put in to match the heated water in the tank? Or is it ok if it is a little cooler?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
lvandert

you can either attempt to guestimate and get it as close as you can or float half full plastic cups of water in the top of the tank for 45 mins to an hour. Once they're the same temp gently pour them in.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 
Rerram

Ok. Thank you so much. I will do the change tonight and see how it goes.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
lelei

Actually for a 1 gallon, just cup out a lil at a time, when u have 1/2 out it won't be that much..and it's not worth it to siphon it, just premix your water with your water conditioner, at lukewarm, test before adding, and add one cup back at a time, a lil at a time from the cup, don't pour it in, just a table spoon or more at a time, or slowly trickle it down the back of the tank..

so he gets readjusted as it's going in, try to get the temp as close as possible, let sit, for about 15 minutes before adding back to tank..to have water conditioner mixed well.. remember only a lil at a time..for a 50% water change, for a full water change, you take the fish out, and the heater, to clean --basically wipe down the heater, and swish hot water around the gravel if you have some in tank, and then add the water, at that point you can use siphon..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #7 
lvandert

not a problem! I do my changes like this all the time. when your taking water out you can slowly move the end of the hose in the tank around and suck up loft over poops and foods. Just be careful because some bettas do get rather curious as to what your doing in their tank lol
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #8 
babystarz

I usually let my water "marinate" next to the tank for 6 hours, I remove the heater from the tank about 2 hours in so the difference in temp won't be too crazy. Then I go ahead and pour the water in after 6 hours. I do 30% water changes if the water is looking nice and clear but I do recommend the full 50% if you don't have a filter.

I say avoid a full water change, if things start getting too mucky at most do a 75%. If you completely replace the water you'll be throwing out the beneficial bacteria that you want in there!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #9 
JadeMoon

I usually take my betta out of the tank and put him in a cup during a water change. I'm not sure what kind of heater you have, but it's probably safest to unplug it or take it out. Then you can just remove water, replace with conditioned water and turn on your heater. If you have a thermometer, it will help you make sure temperature is right. To keep from shocking your betta, just float the cup in the tank for some time, so it adjusts gradually to the temperature. If you do a 100% water change, add some of the new water to his cup every 15 minutes or so before putting him back in the tank. Good Luck!
JadeMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Great advice on the "how to"s...I am lucky so far, as I don't have to worry about water temp. All my tanks are a steady 80 with no heaters, and I keep prepped water in my room, and it is always the same temp too! When it gets cold it won't be as easy, but I don't mind.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote