Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 
MizMelis

Bubbles the 2nd !!

We got our new boy today !! (He was the replacement the pet store gave us after bubbles number 1, a red splenden, kicked the bucket after just over 24 hours due to a few health issues i didn't realize he had when we bought him)

So, Bubbles the 2nd is a gorgeous blue/purple'ish with some bits of red on his fins and his beard. I even bought him a brand new 5 gallon tank with a heater and thermometer. Silk plants are to come in just a couple of weeks and a brand new filter, since the one i set up in his tank was used in the previous 1.5 gallon. Though i don't need to turn the heater yet since the thermometer says the water is a lovely 80F (doesn't feel like it to me though).

Unfortunately my camera sucks and he was so active i couldn't get a really clear photo of him, plus i wasn't using my flash since i didn't want to stress him out while he was getting acquainted with his new home. I absolutely love him to bits already ! When I picked him out after looking at 3 others (which I found out when I took a closer look, that they had the start of a fungus), he just kinda gave me the look, saying, "PLEASE TAKE ME HOME !" I knew he was the one for us !
Attached Images

MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

He's awesome, and I love the tank! Congrats!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 
MizMelis

Thanks !! We were so excited to get him!
The only thing is i' Haven't been able to keep the tank light on because he freaked out a bit over his reflection when i was taking the photos (again, not using the flash on my camera), so I'm not too sure on how to fix that, it's mostly just the reflection on the sides of the tank.

Any idea's ?

I plan on getting him a background in two weeks, they were slightly expensive when i looked at them at walmart, and i was already buying him a new tank, the heater and a couple of other things, so i couldn't spend the extra $14 on a background today. I also plan on getting him some silk plants for the sides of the tank in hopes that, that may cover up his reflection a bit.

Quick edit- I just checked on him and he seems to be able to still see his reflection, though not as bright as before, but he doesn't seem to be banging at the glass with his body or anything, I would just hate to have him stress himself over it.

Last edited by MizMelis; 08-07-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I divided a 10G 3 ways and the guy on the end went ballistic when he saw his reflection -he ended up chewing off a huge chunk of his tail . Since I don't have live plants, I keep the tank light off and that seems to work. he may calm down in a day or two but he might not. The only suggestion I have is to black his view using decor like plants

*loves the new tank setup*
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #5 
MizMelis

Ah yeah ? poor little guy !

He seems to be doing fantastic so far. When we fed him last evening I found a bubble nest he made near the thermometer, so that made me pretty happy to know he wasn't stressed with seeing the much lighter reflection of himself and that he's a happy little guy.

I've been keeping the light off for now though until i can purchase the silk plants to cover up his reflection on the sides. When the light was on at first it was only the sides that had the mirror like reflection, So once we have the new fake plants, like you suggested, I'll be able to cover the sides so that we can use the overhead tank light.

(Plus i really wish i had a better camera, those slightly blurry up close photo's don't do his coloring justice lol !)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Bubbles 2 is a very handsome guy ! He has a nice home I am sure he is very happy having all that room to swim and explore, I have a 5 gallon also and my Betta loves his home. Perseus was like that at first flaring at his reflection on the sides of his tank, I am sure Bubbles 2 will calm own about that in a couple of days and the plants will sure help with that. Best wishes !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #7 
MizMelis

Thanks Perseus!
Oh yeah ? I have to admit, i loved seeing him flare his fins for a brief moment, so i was able to get a really good look at his coloring and i didn't think i could fall in love with him anymore then I already was lol.

I kinda wish i had more room for a few more tanks (We have a fairly small apartment so space is limited down to one tank lol), i would have loved to have taken home the rest of the fish they had up on their Betta wall at the Pet store lol. Surprisingly the dishes they were kept in were much cleaner then what they were last week, So i'm hoping their taking better care of them then what i had seen last week. Division manager who i had spoken to last friday by e-mail was actually in tuesday when we were there, so it was nice to talk to someone who worked there who actually knew as much/a bit more about the care of betta's as I did.

When we were e-mailing, I did suggest that they should have pamphlets given out when buying a betta, on the proper and best way to care for betta's(especially the right size of tank and how to properly acclimate the new fish to their new tank..etc) so that they live a long and healthy life. So far i highly doubt that will happen since I know it's a chain Pet store and their more worried about selling the fish then making sure the new owners are taking care of them properly.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome I know what its like to fall in love with a fish, I love Perseus so much and he is so awesome to watch. So happy for you getting this little guy I know he has such a happy home now and your so right Bettas do deserve so much better then they get in most pet shops. You should be proud of yourself for doing what you did !!!! I think Bettas are the most awesome fish ever ! Perseus is my first fish ever though..lol Here is a link of him flaring at his reflection its so funny the look on his face, I put something at the bottom of his tank that he could see himself in while I taped it. This little guy just melts my heart when I see those little eyes looking at me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULF9PyJoVE0

They say it is good for them but only for 5 mins at a time or day.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #9 
MizMelis

WOW perseus, seriously gorgeous boy !!

I finally got a few CLEAR photo's of our boy, though don't mind his eye, he's got pop-eye which thankfully he's going to be treated for it starting tomorrow when i get the meds.

lol My favorite, although not as bright, photo of him is the very last one, It's like he's looking at me saying " Oh Hai there !" LOL I saw that one and it was HILARIOUS !! I wish it was a brighter photo, because I LOVE it lol. Plus these most recent photo's show off his gorgeous coloring a lot better then the others.
Attached Images