lvandert

yup thats a 21.19 gallon tank. congratz! lol with everything in it thats 20
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #12 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
yup thats a 21.19 gallon tank. congratz! lol with everything in it thats 20
Yes!! That is awesome, I feel like I can do more with a 20 gallon than a 10 gallon for sure! Still too small for cichlids, but... I am starting to think a sorority might be fun! And that Killifish LittleBettaFish posted is just too cute. I might need to look into a few of those.

More suggestions, anyone? I'd love to hear what you all would do if you were randomly gifted a 20 gallon tank (best brother ever, I swear! lol). Do you guys think I should do a planted tank?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

They have quite a big mouth for their size so any small shrimp will probably be eaten or attacked. However, I have mine in with some clown killifish which are not that big, and some sparkling gouramis which are also tiny.

Australe grow to about the same length as a small female betta. There is also a chocolate variety which is divine.

I would recommend small, non-aggressive tankmates for them. Some small rasbora or tetras would be ideal but fish like sparkling gourami and gold medaka also do well. Killifish do best in cooler water than bettas. Mine are housed at around 23 degrees celsius.

They do prefer water that is soft-neutral so if your water is liquid rock they will probably not thrive. However, you could try some hardier aquarium strain gardneri. They are pretty tough and equally as pretty.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 
lvandert

hmmm... rainbow fish? here's a site on them http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Rbowkeep.htm
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

A lot of rainbows tend to grow quite large and would need bigger than a 20 gallon tank.

With that said, there are plenty of species available from the Pseudomugil genus that would be ideal for a 20 gallon tank, and Melanotaenia maccullochi which is a small species of rainbowfish could work as well.

I own blue-eyes and skull creek rainbows and they do really well together and look really nice once they have settled.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #16 
Seki

@LittleBettaFish - my water is pretty hard around here. I'm from Ohio, so the hardness is at the upper ends for what bettas will tolerate. I'm trying to remember from when I checked my water prams this afternoon lol

@lvandert - Ooo, those look pretty cool! I am going to read over that website a bit~
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Having seen that, I would recommend checking out some fish from the pseudomugil genus. There are a couple that are found in hard, alkaline water and they are very pretty little fish and get quite tame once you have had them a while.

Mine will come up and nibble on my fingers when I stick them in. I own spotted, honey and delicate blue-eyes, but have also owned furcatus (probably what would be ideal for your tank) and connieae in the past.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #18 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
NO CICHLIDS!!! That's too small for them.
Shell dweller cichlids do quit well in a 10 gal. They are neat little fish.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #19 
Seki

Okay, my hardness is up around 60-70ish (with conditioner in there), which I guess isn't THAT high, but it's not super soft, either. I am looking up some of the fish you were talking about LittleBettaFish, and they are pretty! Ooo, the idea of filling this tank is getting me so excited!

I'm also looking at some tetras, and maybe some loaches. Does anyone have any insight on those? Also, super sad about not being able to have cichlids, because I fell in love with this Tiger Oscar Cichlid I saw~ lol
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

Oh Seki, Relic stated that you CAN have a Shell Dweller Cichlid. :)
My dad had Oscars before. They need REALLY big tanks. Like a 75 gallon. I'm going to get an Albino in a few years! >.0 Or maybe an Albino and a Tiger! :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote