betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #1 
cjz96

Boys trying to eat eachother?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided tank
What temperature is your tank? 80-82F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other Male Betta (Divided)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 pellets a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% ish
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat Plus or Splendid Betta Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? First bettas tail mysteriously got ripped. More rippings and shreddings followed. The second betta's tail got ripped a few days after the first betta. They both have bloody tips but no black. Even their dorsal fins are partly ripped.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Since I've moved them into a divided tank, they've constantly been flaring at eachother. I have put plants there to try to block their view.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I thought if their fins didn't heal up within a few days I would QT them with AQ Salt since I've seen white regrowth (hopefully not fungle.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had them for about 6 months. They have been solitary since a week ago. I first put them in a 5-5 1/2 gallon divided them quickly upgraded to a 10.

Sorry for posting here...AGAIN. Complete noob. I thought they were trying to bite eachother's tails and faces since they keep on knocking the ornaments out of the way to see eachother on the other side. I'm just getting a little worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

What kind oof divider do you have?

I have two dividers about 2 inches apart so there is positively no way they can reach each other. If you have a single mesh divider, it could be possible that they are getting to each other if one's fins are sicking out through the holes...

OR, they could be getting extremely stressed and are biting themselves...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 
xShainax

Could be a tail biting issue
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #4 
lvandert

Unless you have a divider they can get their head through their probably just tail biting (or they somehow jump the divider when your not looking to get into trouble). Which happens when you first start the divided tanks. After a while they'll calm down and get used to each other.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 
cjz96

Plastic mesh. I didn't think it would be a problem since i has plenty of plants. Here is a pic of one's tail. I am worried about fin rot. Please note that they are not in their offical tank in the pics. I put them in a smaller one to try to fet some pics. They both have bloody tips. I don't think you can see them very well in the pics tho.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 
lvandert

If the divider in the first pic is the same kind as in your other tank that may be the problem. A simple fix would be just to purchase some craft mesh from any craft store and slip it on one side. If not can you get a pic of the divider you use?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 
cjz96

It looks similar. I did put glue mesh on one side. Maybe they jump from the top. I will just buy seperate tanks to save the pain? Does it look like they have fin rot? I'm a little paranoid about that since it is so common amoung bettas.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 
lvandert

i would maybe dose the aq salt just to be on the safe side. (just don't do for more than 10 days). You could get separate tanks if you want to. It might be cheaper to just get an extra piece of craft mesh
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
cjz96

Edit: i glued mesh to one side. Sorry for the typo.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
i would maybe dose the aq salt just to be on the safe side. (just don't do for more than 10 days). You could get separate tanks if you want to. It might be cheaper to just get an extra piece of craft mesh
Okay, thank you. Does it just look look tailbiting? I will start the salts tomorrow.