Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
megacoolguy10

Question what to do urgent!

My betta rex died this morning.

i dont know why but im getting a new one tonight and how do i clean a 5 gal tank with gravel and decorations.

how do i clean a 5 gal tank to be ready for a new tonight when one died this morning.
megacoolguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I believe you have to rinse everything REALLY well with hot water.
as for the tank you can use some vinegar.

To maybe help preventing any deaths, you might want to do a cycle first before putting the fish in....
That will hopefully guarantee the fish not getting sick and also it gives him some time to heal in a QT tank if he's sick
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoolguy10 View Post
My betta rex died this morning.

i dont know why but im getting a new one tonight and how do i clean a 5 gal tank with gravel and decorations.

how do i clean a 5 gal tank to be ready for a new tonight when one died this morning.
Sorry for your loss. How long has your tank been running? When was your last water change & how big? Do you test for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?How long had you had Rex? Was he the only fish in the tank? Did he show ANY signs or symptoms something wasn't right? IME fish don't just die without some kind of warning there is a problem. I understand wanting to get a new one quickly but I would urge you to hold off until a little more is hopefully known about why he died. If it's simply because the tank is too new & not cycled that's an easy fix, if not then I would suggest sanitizing everything or leave it fallow for a few weeks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
megacoolguy10

It had=s been running since 8/4 2012

Rex was the only fish in it

he had tan gills and would swim poorly.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #5 
babystarz

I would wait longer than tonight then, if you're not completely sure what was wrong with Rex. It's possible he had an illness that would mean the tank needs to be treated with diluted bleach and left in the sun to be sure to kill pathogens. If you do wash with diluted bleach, you need to rinse out the tank a billion times so no trace of bleach is left.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoolguy10 View Post
It had=s been running since 8/4 2012

Rex was the only fish in it

he had tan gills and would swim poorly.
When a tank is new such as yours was there can be a build up of ammonia which can kill a fish. It's very important with a new tank to test the water daily & to do water changes as required, which is usually very frequent. I'm only guessing but I have a feeling this is why he died. If you choose to get another fish you will need to make sure to get a liquid water test kit, test the water daily & do water changes as needed. This will go on until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates 10-20 nitrates for a week straight, it can take 4-6 wks so be prepared.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 
megacoolguy10

isnt that cycleing it

Cant i test today and if levels are perfect can i add it today.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Brown/Tan Gills= Nitrite Poisoning. You probably had a spike. Just wash the tank with vinegar, rinse with hot water a TON of times, and leave it to sun dry. Do this if you want to have the fish today. Do a Fishless Cycle if you want your new fish to thrive and carefree. You need to do more water changes as it can happen again. I'm sorry he died...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What size is your tank ? Yes what they are talking about is cycling which is a good idea. You can do a fish in cycle but you must keep up with water changes and get the API Freshwater Master Kit to check all the levels for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #10 
megacoolguy10

it is a 5 gallon