Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Talking Ta-da! My 10 gallon NPT!!! <3

FINALLY, IT'S HERE!!!

After weeks of preparation (I had to custom build a shelf-bridge to go over my two stands!), late nights of research (via this forum XP) and a plethora of pretty pennies, I have finally put together my first NPT!

I started setting it up by rinsing out the tank and sifting the organic miracle gro soil this morning at 10 am and I just plugged in the filter and dumped in the shrimp to start the cycling at 11 pm. About 12 hours of work, but totally worth it!

There's a bit of dirt still floating about, but hopefully that will settle~

The tiki hut is a washed out donation but really great addition, I believe...
Hopefully it'll provide a bit more cover for the Harlequin Rasbora school or couple of ADF's I plan to add after it cycles?

The plants are:

Anubias Nana - Mountain Top
Mini Umbrella Plant- Side of Tiki Hut
Mini Java Fern- Slightly Underneath Filter
White Ribbon- Background
(Hopefully I can get some Java Moss to start working on a carpet! )

I added 3 jumbo shrimp to begin the shrimp-in cycle, and I'm currently waiting for a new heater and the API Freshwater Master Kit to arrive from Ebay!

To mark the special event (and to try and add a little variety to the occaison), I bought some Hikari frozen brine shrimp for Bo! I cut a cube in half, and although Bo didn't seem too keen about them, he was soon gobbling them up like a little shark! It was really cool to watch~

Now the new tank is happily humming away, and I'm really happy and excited to see how it all comes together! Thank you so much to everyone who's posts, input, and well wishes have empowered me to take this big step. You guys are awesome and

Comments, opinions and advice on the set up and cycling would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
Caii and Bo
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Caii; 02-16-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Update: Woke up this morning and the water was cloudier than Stephen King's Fog! @_@

I took the three shrimp out and put the filter back on it's highest setting, and thus far everything's still cloudy.... what did I do wrong? Is this normal? Should I do a water change?

Thank you for your input if you leave any!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team
 
MattsBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
I think that's normal. Since it hasn't really began to cycle, I would do a 50% water change.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #4 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I think that's normal. Since it hasn't really began to cycle, I would do a 50% water change.
Thank you! Should I put the shrimp back in? Or just one of the shrimp? They're pretty big... ^^;
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
hmm you said npt. so soil based tank.

you need more plants for a npt. ideally 70% ground cover of stem plants. you cannot do a shrimp in cycle as shrimps are highly sensitive to any traces of ammonia nitrites and nitrates...
i would recommend to drain the tank, then add more plants.
the variegated dracenea sp you have in the back are not true aquatice plants. if you can find a way to position them so that their leaves are completely out of the water you can benefit from them.

Last edited by ao; 02-17-2013 at 08:34 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #6 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmm you said npt. so soil based tank.

you need more plants for a npt. ideally 70% ground cover of stem plants. you cannot do a shrimp in cycle as shrimps are highly sensitive to any traces of ammonia nitrites and nitrates...
i would recommend to drain the tank, then add more plants.
the variegated dracenea sp you have in the back are not true aquatice plants. if you can find a way to position them so that their leaves are completely out of the water you can benefit from them.
No worries Aokashi- by "shrimp in cycle" I meant the raw shrimp method! I went to the store and bought 3 dead jumbo shrimp :3
I wouldn't buy a live shrimp since they kind of scare me... ^///^;
So, since they're raw, dead shrimp... should I put them back in?

Ack! I spent all of my money on plants yesterday... and now they're not even aquatic?! PetSmart is a scam.. ;_;

What if I left them in there, aokashi? I'm going to add more plants later on (amazon swords and java moss), but considering I've no more money... that may take a bit. I'm going to do a 50% water change in a few minutes.

Thank you for your reply!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
leave out the shrimp. with an NPTyou shouldnt seed the cycle it at all. all the nutrients is already in the soil. for $3 i believe you can get a bunch of anacharis/elodeafor your tank. they are great nutrients suckers...
Ican also send you some fast growing stem plants for the price of shipping.

you really need these plants to take care of the nutrients that is comin from the soil.

java moss, java fern and anubias are slow grower and there fore isnt much use as an ammonia sink.

frankly I'm mortified of dead stuff... o_O I'll be sticking to my live shrimps XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
leave out the shrimp. with an NPTyou shouldnt seed the cycle it at all. all the nutrients is already in the soil. for $3 i believe you can get a bunch of anacharis/elodeafor your tank. they are great nutrients suckers...
Ican also send you some fast growing stem plants for the price of shipping.

you really need these plants to take care of the nutrients that is comin from the soil.

java moss, java fern and anubias are slow grower and there fore isnt much use as an ammonia sink.

frankly I'm mortified of dead stuff... o_O I'll be sticking to my live shrimps XD
Where can I get said plants for $3?
And if I may ask, what kind of plants do you have? If I could buy from you I would like to ^_^
I'm taking back the white ribbon plants for a refund!

Lol! I'm pretty good with "dead" things~ I mean, I would prefer something alive, but when it comes to shrimp, they're scarier alive! XD
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
i have some kind of stem plant with really long leaves. :O
Usually it's $3.50 for first class and $6.50 for priority.

petco usually sells loose stems for $3!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #10 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
i have some kind of stem plant with really long leaves. :O
Usually it's $3.50 for first class and $6.50 for priority.

petco usually sells loose stems for $3!
Thanks for the advice! Also, would you happen to have pictures of the plants? That would be very helpful...
XD
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
10 gallon, caii, cycle, npt, plants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant stand seeing my bettas in a 1 gallon and half gallon tanks ltshinthebetta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 08-18-2009 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.