Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Flares at tank

Jonah is finally settled into his tank, praise God. He's eating, swimming and showing off his gorgeous fins. But now he is seeing his reflection in the acrylic tank. He flares, attacks his reflection and swims behind the heater. He doesn't do it often but I do catch him doing it a few times a day but I'm not home all day. Will he eventually stop? I don't think it's stressing him a lot but I don't want him freaking out all the time.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Jonah is finally settled into his tank, praise God. He's eating, swimming and showing off his gorgeous fins. But now he is seeing his reflection in the acrylic tank. He flares, attacks his reflection and swims behind the heater. He doesn't do it often but I do catch him doing it a few times a day but I'm not home all day. Will he eventually stop? I don't think it's stressing him a lot but I don't want him freaking out all the time.

LizzyP
I'm so glad to hear he's finally settling!!! Yaaaay...don't worry about the reflection thing...he'll get used to it, or you could put more plants along the sides! So happy for you right now. cool.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
babystarz

Mine do it too when they're bored. I've noticed that my trapezoidal tank seems to be the most reflective, no idea why! But that tank is really stressful for every fish I've put into it. So if Jonah seems to be stressing himself out too much, maybe you could either figure out a way to make the tank less reflective for him or get him a tank that is shaped differently. If he's not doing it that often, he might just be amusing himself and feeling manly :P Even in tanks sometimes they like to put on displays to mark their territory.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 
LizzyP

I don't catch him doing it that often, just a couple times. I never had problems while Dumbledore was in there so maybe he's just getting situated. I might put some more fake plants in there along the back wall. It's funny, he flares and attacks his reflection then it scares the poop out of him (literally) and he hides behind the heater XD.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote