Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 
ilikefishyys

I need help!

hi ! so for some reason my betta's fins seem to be ripped off like on the back and bottom fin! i'm super worried and i changed out the plants that could have been ripping them for silk ones and it still seems like his fins are getting smaller and smaller. I don't know what to do or what could have caused this and I am going crazy trying to figure it out and help him because he has about half his back and bottom fin left...please if anyone knows what could of happened or how i can fix this please answer! thanks so much!
ilikefishyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 
lvandert

are his fins blackish red or are they just missing?

What size tank do you have hi in and how often do you change the water?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #3 
ilikefishyys

his fins are just like ripped like there are tears in it and his fins are just missing also i have a 5 gallon tank and i do a 100% clean every 3-4 weeks
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 
lvandert

alright then your just dealing with a tail biter, probably from stress due to water conditions. For a 5 gallon you should be doing a 50% and a 100% water change every week. If you have a filter then you still should do 50% water changes twice a week and a near 100% water change every two weeks.

I would recommend bumping up your water changes and getting his water really good and clean. If you can keep it that way his fins should heal up nicely. If they start to look blackish or rotting start a aquarium salt treatment at 1/2 tsp per gallon.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 
ilikefishyys

thank you so much! i do have a filter and thats why i didn't think i had to clean it that often but i definately will now! also, the tips of his front two fins are white, does that mean anything? like all of a sudden they just turned white...
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #6 
KevinPham123

The white on the fins may mean that its fins are healing.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #7 
Meggie6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefishyys View Post
thank you so much! i do have a filter and thats why i didn't think i had to clean it that often but i definately will now! also, the tips of his front two fins are white, does that mean anything? like all of a sudden they just turned white...

On a regular basis with my filtered and cycled and pretty well planted 5.5 gallon tanks, I only have to do about a 50%-75% water change a week. I don't even have to do it that much, I just like to keep the water extra clean...But while he is healing, I would suggest a few water changes a week.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 
Myates

Actually, that cleaning schedule is too much for a 5 gallon... you will create too sterile of an environment and cause unnecessary stress to a fish who seems to be having stress at this time.

For a 5 gallon tank unfiltered it is highly recommended (with scientific backing) to do 1 50% per week and 1 100% per month to keep the water clean yet not too clean.
For a 5 gallon filtered you will want to do anywhere between 30-50% per week depending upon whether you have live plants, if the tank is cycled, etc.
For no live plants you will want to do closer to 50% per week with vacuuming of the gravel weekly to bi-weekly at the most.
For live plants, depending upon how many and of what you will lower the % to around 25-30% per week with vacuuming only once a month.

You don't want to do a 100% when you have a filter, nor do you want to do "close" as then you can cause your tank to go through a mini-cycle, etc.

It sounds as if he is biting his fins.. you will want to find out why.. are they rips or chunks missing? Rips could be from the fake plants or the filter not being baffled.. chunks are from biting which they do for any number of reasons.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Actually, that cleaning schedule is too much for a 5 gallon... you will create too sterile of an environment and cause unnecessary stress to a fish who seems to be having stress at this time.

For a 5 gallon tank unfiltered it is highly recommended (with scientific backing) to do 1 50% per week and 1 100% per month to keep the water clean yet not too clean.
For a 5 gallon filtered you will want to do anywhere between 30-50% per week depending upon whether you have live plants, if the tank is cycled, etc.
For no live plants you will want to do closer to 50% per week with vacuuming of the gravel weekly to bi-weekly at the most.
For live plants, depending upon how many and of what you will lower the % to around 25-30% per week with vacuuming only once a month.

You don't want to do a 100% when you have a filter, nor do you want to do "close" as then you can cause your tank to go through a mini-cycle, etc.

It sounds as if he is biting his fins.. you will want to find out why.. are they rips or chunks missing? Rips could be from the fake plants or the filter not being baffled.. chunks are from biting which they do for any number of reasons.
A+

if you clean a tank too much, you can actually destroy the tanks cycle and throw off your tanks water parameter's balance.

50% TWICE a week will be sufficient
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 
ilikefishyys

thanks everyone! and its just rips its not chunks so maybe now that i switched the plants to only silky ones, they will heal. also, i'll start changing the water more frequently. THANKS EVERYONE!