Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
castielthebetta

Exclamation Moving Homes

I am moving soon & I would like some advice on moving my new Betta's 3 gallon tank with me! What's the best way to do it? Should I empty it out & refill it while he swims about in a small bowl for a day while the water neutralizes? Hmmm... ponder ponder.

Let me know what you all think & THANKS for the help! (:
castielthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2 
Htennek

Location: Somewhere between rage and serenity.... if I am not there, then I must be in the coffeehouse chat.
It might help if you mention how long the drive is and what kind of transportation.

EDIT: Didn't see the "day part" sorry
Htennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 
castielthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htennek View Post
It might help if you mention how long the drive is and what kind of transportation.

EDIT: Didn't see the "day part" sorry
Its a 25-30 minutes drive!! (:
castielthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Wow. That's pretty easy. It's going to be a lot like moving a betta to and from college (which I did a lot).

Remove the fish. Remove as much water from his tank as you can save (well-rinsed milk jugs work great for this). Anything that you can't save just throw out. Make sure the tank is completely empty of water before you move it. Water is very heavy and leaving some in the tank can cause it crack when moved. Pack up the tank and drive to your new home. On the drive don't put your betta near air vents as they will lower/raise the temp in his bowl very rapidly.

When you set up the tank at your new house, fill it with the old tank water and top it off with the new water from your new house. Because the water parameters will likely be different, you don't want to suddenly change his water on him. When you put him back, acclimate him as you would if he were coming home for the first time with you. Over the next few weeks as you do your weekly water changes with the new source water, he will become acclimated to it.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

+1 thekoimaiden

I put Goblin in the cup he came in, in the cup holder. & then I pack the tank up.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote