Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 
mattoboy

What Did I Ever Do?

I don't understand

I lost 6 fish in the last 7 days... My last victim tonight. I can literally not stop crying. This is really P!$$ing me off!

Truffle, my Plakat female, died tonight. Yesterday I put her in my 10 gallon so its easier for my mom to watch while im away, didn't see her all day, and I knew something was up. After I checked under the piece of driftwood and she wasnt there, I got goosebumps. The bottom piece on my filter broke off and she got sucked up and... yaa... I think we all know the rest.

This is the 2nd freak accident in 4 days. My brother's betta (Mine too) died because his tank overheated. And my other betta (Midnight), my Dwarf Gourami, and 2 WCMM's died because of DGD (Dwarf Gourami Disease). I don't understand. What did I ever do to deserve this? I don't understand how I could keep a wal-mart betta, in a 1 gallon un-heated bowl that I only fed and cleaned the tank monthly, to live a year - even through winter! And I cant keep a betta that has it all and lives in paradise alive for 3 months without something stupid happening.

Well, im off to Ontario in less than a week and im going to think it over and I may just quit the hobby. All im doing is throwing $$$ down the toilet.

My little rant

Matt
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #2 
xShainax

My DG survived his bout of DGD. RIP fishies
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #3 
Sprinkles55

Wow, I'm so sorry.. :(
It seems that it's all been a serious fold of unfortunate events at once. I'd probably be just as upset. You did nothing wrong though, so don't blame yourself. It's truly up to you whether or not you want to continue fish keeping but I'm sure you made all of your fish happy to be under your care while they were. I hope things get better for you, keep your chin up. :)
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

D: If it's causing you stress, I'd say... take a break until you want to enter the hobby again..
Im sorry for yor losses...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #5 
JackisLost

i think it's easier to manage a low tech tank. what i mean is no filter to a sponge filter at most and maybe some live plants. just scrub the glass with a toothbrush and change the water is what i've been doing on my tank. during the day i set my small tank by the window and the highest the water got was 84. at night i turn on the heater.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 
MSG

Jack....

I'm on the other side of the US. If I left my tank by the window, it would be over 105 degrees by lunchtime. Back in July when I noticed my betta acting weird clinging onto the side of the plastic log, it was because his tank was 95 or 97 degrees. It was day 2 of a 3 day heatwave. Lucky I noticed him & had 4 thermometers on me, or I would have lost everyone.

Now I use a digital thermometer that gives me a reading within 1-2 seconds. I usually keep the good ones in the kitchen.

Matto....
The filter with the broken intake? What brand & model was it? I have a lot of used filters that have damaged intakes, but that's what a prefilter is designed for. I have to pick up materials to make some.

The fluval black sponge prefilter that my friend recommended is too small.

Right now, I'm watching my halfmoon betta is in my 6G guppy tank.

He's been out of shape for the past couple months & I have AquaClear 150 running in the tank.

Specifications:

150 gph
Rated for aquariums up to 30 gallons

He was hanging out right by the intake & also hanging out directly where the water shoots out from above.

I just turned it up to max power, so he gets more exercise. I'll turn it down after I do the clean the bottom of the tank and replace the ornaments.

He's swims like a fat penguin now.

Sorry to hear about your 6 fish. Did you have heaters in the tanks that overheated?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 
mattoboy

@MSG

Its a Aqueon 10 Silent filter or something along those lines...

Just the bottom of the intake there was a small disk-like plastic object glued on so fish wouldn't get sucked in and it broke off. Not a big deal, I just need to get a sponge to do a baffle which I will do today.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote