Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

:( abused bettas at walmart + thrown into same cups

Oy... I went to walmart to look at the dieing betta in their mini cups and I always go in that section to see if they're doing okay, usually not of course.

Someone put two betta in the same bowl and they were fighting, I use my hand and snatched it out and put it back in its own cup again. I guess people think its funny to make animals kill each other, though they don't find it funny when humans shoots each other. I don't understand this since we're all organisms.

I saw a blue crowntail betta who couldn't swim, I tried moving its container to check on it but it wouldn't swim at all. It sat there moving its fins, i'm hoping it will get a better care taker. I'm sorry I couldn't do much to help all of you poor betta D: so many fins were destroyed.... ugh. Did PETA ever consider passing laws?
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

I used to see this all the time at my local WalMart. They also would throw Bettas in with the Oscars and Goldfish exc. Someone once put two girls together, two girls who my friend and I had seen a few days before (she wanted both but couldn't afford to get them at the time).. we actually took them up to checkout (they weren't fighting at all) and the person who checked us out didn't even look at the cup, so we ended up getting both girls for the price of one. lol

CT males from our WalMart ALWAYS have problems swimming, they sit on their tail at the bottom of the cup kinda hunched over. It's only ever the CTs, never the VTs. It's very easily corrected, we have rescued 3 different male CTs from there all with the same problem and got them all back to normal by just putting them in a shallow tank with plenty of horizontal swimming room and daily exercise with a mirror. All boys recovered.

The state of misery of all their fish had gotten to a point where it was just too frustrating to look at anymore. I went to WalMart.com and wrote in a complaint about the store and how they took care of their fish and how horrible and dirty their tanks were. I got a reply back within a few days as well as a call from the manager from that store. They hired in a new employee who was trained specifically in treating and caring for the fish, this employee also trained a few other people on how to care for them as well. All the fish now are doing SO much better and still are, I wrote that complaint back in November and they actually are still taking care of their fish. They even have heaters for the tropical fish and the goldfish & koi water is nice and cool.

It's amazing what a well written complaint can do.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 
RainbowSocks

A common misconception among Walmart employees is that bettas rarely spend over a week on the shelf. From what I've seen, some females can stay there for over a month.

And TheCheese, your post gives me hope! :)

Last edited by RainbowSocks; 08-08-2012 at 03:41 PM.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

There is a great page on facebook called Betta Fish Awareness Day...they have some links to sign various petitions there. You can also google petition sites to start a petition for a specific reason i.e. "Walmart stop selling bettas". I have meant to start one myself, but haven't gotten back on to do it. One of the petitions going right now is for Petsmart to stop selling containers under 1g. I was going to post the link, but wasn't sure if it's against the rules here. We all need to keep speaking out for these creatures. sigh
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
There is a great page on facebook called Betta Fish Awareness Day...they have some links to sign various petitions there. You can also google petition sites to start a petition for a specific reason i.e. "Walmart stop selling bettas". I have meant to start one myself, but haven't gotten back on to do it. One of the petitions going right now is for Petsmart to stop selling containers under 1g. I was going to post the link, but wasn't sure if it's against the rules here. We all need to keep speaking out for these creatures. sigh
Can there be a way to share petitions on here for the masses? Maybe contact the admins/owners! We need to start taking action no matter what.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #6 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I used to see this all the time at my local WalMart. They also would throw Bettas in with the Oscars and Goldfish exc. Someone once put two girls together, two girls who my friend and I had seen a few days before (she wanted both but couldn't afford to get them at the time).. we actually took them up to checkout (they weren't fighting at all) and the person who checked us out didn't even look at the cup, so we ended up getting both girls for the price of one. lol

CT males from our WalMart ALWAYS have problems swimming, they sit on their tail at the bottom of the cup kinda hunched over. It's only ever the CTs, never the VTs. It's very easily corrected, we have rescued 3 different male CTs from there all with the same problem and got them all back to normal by just putting them in a shallow tank with plenty of horizontal swimming room and daily exercise with a mirror. All boys recovered.

The state of misery of all their fish had gotten to a point where it was just too frustrating to look at anymore. I went to WalMart.com and wrote in a complaint about the store and how they took care of their fish and how horrible and dirty their tanks were. I got a reply back within a few days as well as a call from the manager from that store. They hired in a new employee who was trained specifically in treating and caring for the fish, this employee also trained a few other people on how to care for them as well. All the fish now are doing SO much better and still are, I wrote that complaint back in November and they actually are still taking care of their fish. They even have heaters for the tropical fish and the goldfish & koi water is nice and cool.

It's amazing what a well written complaint can do.
That's awesome. I'm more interested in stopping the abuse worldwide though, can't wait until we take action to do so! Poor fish ><
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
Can there be a way to share petitions on here for the masses? Maybe contact the admins/owners! We need to start taking action no matter what.
I will ask a moderator if it is allowed. I think the only links not allowed are to other Betta forums, but I'll check.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I will ask a moderator if it is allowed. I think the only links not allowed are to other Betta forums, but I'll check.
Great =D
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not sure since several people have left notes at different stores complaining about the small containers/tanks they sell and left our web address on the notes. That is not allowed. If you're going to sign petitions or send e mail please do not post our web address.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Cheese, your story gives us all hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
Can there be a way to share petitions on here for the masses?
I think you can share petitions here. The person who started Betta Fish Awareness Day is a member of this forum, and I believe s/he shared a link to a petition to Petsmart to stop selling tanks under 1 gal here.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote