Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #1 
kyasarin5

Male Betta Fish Swollen Abdomen-Need Help!

I need help! I am trying to figure out why my betta fish is bloated. I love him dearly and I am so worried about him. I noticed the symptoms about 4 days ago. He was in a 5 gallon tank, he was moved to his new 10 gallon tank on Friday evening 8/3/12. My boyfriend thought maybe he overfed him since he likes to give him 5 or 6 pellets and we thought maybe he was just constipated from being overfed. I fasted him for a day and on the second day I fed him 1 pellet and the inside of a green pea. He is pooping fine, but sometimes has kinda stringy clear poo between regular poos. He is still bloated and not getting any better. The cardinal tetras I introduced to the tank turned out to have ich so now he prob has that too. Please help! Not sure what to do or if I am treating with the right meds. I think he might have a parasite he could have possibly caught from pond snails in my tank, which came out of petsmart tanks. Thank you for your help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees (normally 80 degrees)
Does your tank have a filter? marineland penguin 100
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? 1 bubble stone and 1 bubble wall
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 pepper cory catfish and down from 5 cardinal tetras to 3 in the past couple of days due to ich/septicemia

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? normally 3 to 4 aqueon betta pellets, also give thawed frozen bloodworms once or twice a week, freeze dried tubifex worms once a week the day before water change( he likes to play with them and attack them), occasional thawed frozen brine shrimp, he doesn't really like them though
How often do you feed your betta fish? normally 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly with gravel vacuum( though I have sand in my tank instead of gravel)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra aquasafe water conditioner ( I have freshwater aquarium salt in the tank right now at 1 rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
tested water before performing 30 percent partial water change yesterday
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrate: 10 ppm (mg/L)
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 75 (GH) ppm
Alkalinity: 80 (KH) ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes he has a swollen abdomen, stringy poo, and I could have sworn I saw little clear strings of mucous or something hanging down from under his belly yesterday, also possibly has a few spots of ich that he caught from cardinal tetras, has a torn pectoral fin and a few tears in his tail (I think the tetras nipped his tail and the tear in his fin is from a hole that his got in his fin somehow before the tetras were introduced to the tank on Friday 8/3/12.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is still eating but appetite is not as voracious as it was, sleeping more at bottom of tank, perks up and is active when i approach him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 or 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API Super Ick Cure at half strength dose yesterday morning and the day before, switched to Tetra Parasite Guard Fizz Tab after 30 percent water change yesterday evening
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had fin rot before and completely recovered from it
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 1 year old
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #2 
kyasarin5

Also, he has been constipated before and the green pea helped. He was better the next day the last time he was bloated from constipation.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 
lvandert

He has internal parasites. I would get him isolated and start a 2tsp per gallon treatment of unscented epsom salt asap.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 
kyasarin5

I am scared to use epsom salt. What if it hurts him?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 
kyasarin5

He looks a little bit more bloated today.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 
underdebate

There's absolutely nothing to worry about when using epsom salt-- as long as you find a brand that's unscented, you'll be perfectly fine. There's nothing about it that can hurt him and it will help to relieve his bloating.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 
babystarz

Epsom salt is the most gentle salt you can buy :) It's even gentler for treating illnesses than medicines made of chemicals.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #8 
kyasarin5

Okay will go to the store and get some unscented epsom salt. Thanks guys! Will keep you updated!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #9 
kyasarin5

I got some plain unscented epsom salt and put 2 teaspoons in 1 gallon of water. Kept temp within 2 degrees of tank temp. Tank temp was 82 and bath water was 84. I adjusted tank temp up to 84 now. He did great and even passed a tiny little string of poo! I am so happy! First good bit of poo he has had today! I bathed him for 30 minutes and then put him back in his tank. :) He was definitely happy to be back in his tank but seemed fine for his bath or than being unhappy with the small tank he was in and the elevated ph.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 
kyasarin5

Here is a video I took of him today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPU4J...ature=youtu.be

Tags
bloated betta male, ich, parasite