Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #1 
thrdstrt

melafix & pimafix? what meds?

Hello,
I have been hearing some things about melafix and pimafix being fine and being bad for betta. I have been using it for some tail rot my betta had when I got him several weeks ago. I am still struggling with it but don't want to use anything that will hurt him! What have you heard? I also just picked up some betta spa which is liquid indian almond leaf extract due to some reading...but have been a little afraid to try it. This all sounds a bit scary.
thrdstrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrdstrt View Post
Hello,
I have been hearing some things about melafix and pimafix being fine and being bad for betta. I have been using it for some tail rot my betta had when I got him several weeks ago. I am still struggling with it but don't want to use anything that will hurt him! What have you heard? I also just picked up some betta spa which is liquid indian almond leaf extract due to some reading...but have been a little afraid to try it. This all sounds a bit scary.
The fixes are controversial, I have used them but not for weeks at a time. What size tank & what is your water change schedule? The only thing I do for fin rot is to make sure they are in pristine water & maybe add a little Aq salt. Plus I stopped keeping my Bettas in anything less than a 10g filtered & heated tank unless specifically treating something short term.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 
NorthernLights

-fix

Melafix and Bettafix are the same thing-- Bettafix is just a very dilute form of Melafix. They are both tea-tree oil products (aka Melaleuca). Some folks have excellent luck with these, others have had fish die shortly after using them. If you do choose to use these, be EXTREMELY careful about the dosage and DO NOT overdose.

From what I understand, the tea tree oil tends to sit on top of the water and thus when fishy comes to the surface to breathe -- BAM! He gets a labyrinth full of oil and not air.

Pimafix is not meleuca (tea tree oil) but a mixture of something else. I did notice one of the ingredients is CLOVE OIL, which is used to euthanize bettas humanely. I would therefore guess that dosage with Pimafix is even more critical than Melafix.

I personally would probably not use any of the -fix products because of the risks. I have used Quick-Cure (from Wal-Mart) successfully with a fish that was in terrible shape (though not with Ich, as far as I could tell), but that also has risks.

The general rule of thumb on here is warm, clean water, a little AQ salt, and TLC.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote