Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
bettalover06

My Betta Louie is very very sick.. PLEASE HELP!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10G but since he got sick move him to 2.5G Hospital Tank.

What temperature is your tank? 78F

Does your tank have a filter? NO

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO

Is your tank heated? ON and OFF, depends on the weather. Mostly OFF, it gets too HOT here in CA.[/color]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?Male. Got him at the same time as my Louie, about 14 months ago.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pallets (New Life Spectrum), and Flakes (Omega One), and rarely – brine shrimp

How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day, 4 pallets each Betta’s

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2wks

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon – water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? NO

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your Betta fish's appearance changed? I can’t tell any difference

How has your Betta fish's behavior changed? It just lays there, no activity whatsoever!

When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got off work yesterday, it lays at the very bottom of the tank, seems like his grasping for air, his grills does move, and at one time I saw him bouncing up and down, and finally he ended at the bottom head first.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, daily water change 100% since this happened, with Aquarium salt ( 2 table spoon) and yes I do dissolve it first before pouring it to the tank, plus water heater is ON.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? NO, this is the first time. I know that he doesn't really eat as much as the other Betta, and his very sensitive to noise, and it take couple days for him to adjust to his surroundings, especially after a water change, he normally just stay at the bottom of the tank, but eventually moves around.

How old is your fish (approximately)? When I got them, I would say they are about 1 in. long. Not sure how old that would be.

I don't want to lose him, needs urgent HELP!

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by bettalover06; 10-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't doing well....

To understand-he was kept in a divided unfiltered 10gal with another male Betta-no other tank mates or live plants. Temp varied based on weather with an average of 78F. Water changes-100% every 2 weeks and has a good appetite....correct...

You have since moved him to an unfiltered 2.5gal tank and started daily 100% water changes with Aquarium salt 2 tablespoons/gallon or is it 2 teaspoons. He is still eating but not as much.

Symptoms-lethargic, twirling, gasping and laying on the bottom.

What I would recommend-Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannin treatment.

Place him in a smaller container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range for treatment-or you can use the 2.5gal-but lower the water level to about 3 inches and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Light off for the first 24h-kept in a dim lit quiet location.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one. Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30 min...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-Make 50% daily water changes for the next 13 days.
If you used a tannin source the water should look darker each day and this is what you want.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals. If you have access to live mosquito larva offer several rinsed a couple of times a day.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 
bettalover06

Thank you so much for the reply. As of yesterday, no he has not eaten at all, and currently still not eating. I am not familiar with EPSON salt and tannin treatment? When I was reading yesterday they stated AS, and that is what I use for treatment. Update, he is still not moving.
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

For his symptoms-Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) would work better than Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) along with the tannins. Both have antibacterial/fungal properties.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Tannins can come from AL or oak leaves (the water usually will turn tan or yellowish -that's normal ) :)
Once he gets better, it's probably best not to change a ten gallon tank's water 100% every two weeks since it will kill off all the good bacteria. Perhaps do a 25% to 50% water change weekly and a 75% water change monthly. It might be helpful to read up on the nitrogen cycle. Good luck! :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote